Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.
Saturday, December 3, 2016

New York City mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner has confirmed that he took part in a recently published series of sexually explicit webchats, acknowledging that “I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have.”

On Tuesday, gossip site TheDirty.com published screenshots of a series of chats and explicit photos sent between their anonymous source and someone using the pseudonym “Carlos Danger,” whom the source alleged was actually Anthony Weiner.

“She was lured by Anthony Weiner post-scandal via Facebook,” TheDirty.com blogger Nik Richie wrote of his source, a 22-year-old woman. “They had a relationship for 6 months and she believed they were in love.”

Along with sending the woman sexually explicit messages, Weiner also allegedly offered to buy her a condominium in Chicago, and to get her on a Politico panel.

On Tuesday afternoon, Weiner released a statement confirming that he is Carlos Danger:

“I said that other texts and photos were likely to come out, and today they have. As I have said in the past, these things that I did were wrong and hurtful to my wife and caused us to go through challenges in our marriage that extended past my resignation from Congress. While some things that have been posted today are true and some are not, there is no question that what I did was wrong. This behavior is behind me. I’ve apologized to Huma and am grateful that she has worked through these issues with me and for her forgiveness. I want to again say that I am very sorry to anyone who was on the receiving end of these messages and the disruption that this has caused. As my wife and I have said, we are focused on moving forward.”

Weiner’s statement that “some things that have been posted today are true and some are not” leaves open the question of whether or not Weiner was conducting these chats after his online habits were revealed in 2011, causing him to resign from Congress.

In any case, the damage to his mayoral campaign could be severe. Weiner had been polling in first or second place in most surveys of New York City’s mayoral race, but getting voters to overlook a second public disgrace may be too much to ask.

The Democratic primary in the New York City mayoral election will take place on September 10th. If no candidate earns more than 40 percent, as expected, there will be a runoff between the top two candidates on October 1st.

UPDATE: Weiner and his wife, Huma Abedin, discussed the new revelations at a press conference Tuesday evening. Weiner acknowledged that he continued his inappropriate conduct after resigning from Congress, and said that he would not withdraw from the mayoral race.

Abedin acknowledged the strain that her husband’s scandal has placed on their marriage, but insisted “I love him, I have forgiven in him, I believe in him and, as we have said since the beginning, we are moving forward.”

Video of the press conference is below:


Photo: Talk News Radio Service via Flickr.com

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 The National Memo