We are Hiring!
The National Memo is the fastest growing political newsletter in the U.S. and we are expanding.
We are currently recruiting for the following positions in New York:
- Social Media Intern
- Editorial Intern
- Advertising Sales Intern
Social Media Intern:
The National Memo, a progressive political website and newsletter that reaches more than 500,000 inboxes every day, is seeking a social media intern. In this paid internship, political and web junkies will get real hands-on experience with a new venture and get to participate in building and growth. If you have great marketing instincts, are entrepreneurial minded and fascinated by the opportunities of a start-up, we have exciting opportunities to engage and make a difference.
Our intern will help build conversations around our journalism and help continue growing our audience across social networks by connecting readers with our content and engaging them in a two-way conversation. Our ideal intern candidate will be deeply knowledgeable of social media landscape and American politics. We expect a level of fluency to identify upcoming social trends and platforms.
- Love of politics, national news and progressive ideals.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Passion for social and emerging media
- Demonstrated experience building audience through social networks (Twitter, Facebook and beyond).
- Working knowledge of HTML
- Experience producing and editing graphics, video and/or photos.
- Familiarity with WordPress.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Team player with desire to collaborate.
- Ability to create a gif that makes us laugh
We want to hear about how you’d use social tools across The National Memo to tell stories and engage readers. If you’re interested, please contact email@example.com with a cover letter email stating your qualifications.
Editorial Interns: New York
The National Memo is seeking ambitious, web-savvy interns. Political and web junkies will get real hands-on experience with a new venture and get to participate in building and growth. If you are entrepreneurial and fascinated by the excitement of a start-up, we offer great opportunities to engage — and to make a difference.
Editorial interns will work closely with our editors identifying, pitching, and writing stories; conducting research and reporting; creating slideshows, video content and sourcing photos; and helping to create and build new features for our site.
Successful intern candidates will have:
• Excellent writing skills.
• A deep understanding of and passion for politics — and a big appetite for online content.
• Experience with Photoshop and video editing.
• Experience in writing blogs/tweets/posts preferred.
• Sense of humor and ability to be creative.
• Working knowledge of social media outlets, including: Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest , etc.
• Ability to spot viral content- before it goes viral!
Weekly stipend available.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include job title in subject line.
Advertising Sales Intern – Digital Media
The National Memo, a progressive political newsletter and website that reaches more than 400,000 inboxes every day, is seeking ambitious, energetic, Advertising Sales Interns. We seek savvy, and self-motivated candidates who understand marketing, advertising, and digital media revenue who want to learn the selling process. The ideal candidate has strong verbal and written communication skills, is analytical, and is hungry to sell. In addition the candidate is expected to be conscientious, well versed in business trends, self-motivated, and forward thinking. There is significant potential to grow and learn in a small environment.
The Advertising Sales Interns will work on all stages of the advertising selling cycle, from proactive prospecting to developing customer rapport to managing advertising orders and client relations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Account prospecting
- Assisting Account Executives in the selling process as needed
- Creating power point proposals
- Communicating with account executive to understand client needs and all details of campaign.
- Disseminating and enforcing creative specs
- Maintaining account/client details in CRM
- Handling all aspects of the email operation from setup, trafficking, execution, reporting.
- Identifying client requirements, determine schedule availability, and acquire client creative.
- Generating campaign reports while in-flight and upon campaign completion.
- Optimizing campaign as needed to effectively to achieve best results for clients.
- Providing exemplary customer service
Skills and Experience required:
- Demonstrated interest in sales
- A positive, “can-do” attitude
- Excellent internal and client-facing communication skills
- A positive problem solving attitude
- A strong personal work ethic and ability to work in a smaller, less structured environment
- Ability to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, preferably for two consecutive semesters
- Proficiency in productivity/presentation software and multimedia presentations including PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Excel
- An understanding of the political landscape a significant plus
This is a paid internship. Please send a cover letter with your resume to email@example.com. Tell us why we should hire you.