We are Hiring!
The National Memo is the fastest growing political newsletter in the U.S. and we are expanding.
We are currently recruiting for the following positions in New York:
- Editorial Interns
- Advertising Sales Intern
- Marketing/Administrative Intern
- Social Media Producer
Editorial Interns: New York
The National Memo is seeking ambitious, web-savvy interns. Political and web junkies will get real hands-on experience with a new venture and get to participate in building and growth. If you are entrepreneurial and fascinated by the excitement of a start-up, we offer great opportunities to engage — and make a difference.
Editorial interns will work closely with our editors identifying, pitching, and writing stories; conducting research and reporting; creating slideshows, video content and sourcing photos; helping to create and build new features for our site, including slideshows and video content.
Successful intern candidates will have:
• Excellent writing skills.
• A deep understanding of and passion for politics — and a big appetite for online content.
• Experience with Photoshop and video editing.
• Experience in writing blogs/tweets/posts preferred.
• Sense of humor and ability to be creative.
• Working knowledge of social media outlets, including: Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Pinterest , etc.
• Ability to spot viral content- before it goes viral!
Weekly stipends provided.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line.
Advertising Sales Intern – Digital Media
The National Memo, a progressive political newsletter and website that reaches more than 400,000 inboxes every day, is seeking ambitious, energetic, Advertising Sales Interns. We seek savvy, and self-motivated candidates who understand marketing, advertising, and digital media revenue who want to learn the selling process. The ideal candidate has strong verbal and written communication skills, is analytical, and is hungry to sell. In addition the candidate is expected to be conscientious, well versed in business trends, self-motivated, and forward thinking. There is significant potential to grow and learn in a small environment.
The Advertising Sales Interns will work on all stages of the advertising selling cycle, from proactive prospecting to developing customer rapport to managing advertising orders and client relations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Account prospecting
- Assisting Account Executives in the selling process as needed
- Creating power point proposals
- Communicating with account executive to understand client needs and all details of campaign.
- Disseminating and enforcing creative specs
- Maintaining account/client details in CRM
- Handling all aspects of the email operation from setup, trafficking, execution, reporting.
- Identifying client requirements, determine schedule availability, and acquire client creative.
- Generating campaign reports while in-flight and upon campaign completion.
- Optimizing campaign as needed to effectively to achieve best results for clients.
- Providing exemplary customer service
Skills and Experience required:
- Demonstrated interest in sales
- A positive, “can-do” attitude
- Excellent internal and client-facing communication skills
- A positive problem solving attitude
- A strong personal work ethic and ability to work in a smaller, less structured environment
- Ability to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, preferably for two consecutive semesters
- Proficiency in productivity/presentation software and multimedia presentations including PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Excel
- An understanding of the political landscape a significant plus
This is a paid internship. Please send a cover letter with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us why we should hire you.
Social Media Producer:
The National Memo is seeking a social media producer to lead our audience development efforts. The producer will be expected to give voice to our content on major social networks. We expect a level of fluency to identify upcoming social trends and platforms. You should know when to promote something and when to stay silent. We want you to be comfortable sorting between emerging best practice, passing fad, and calcifying conventional wisdom.
The individual will be charged with building, as well as leading, conversations around our journalism with a credible, conversational voice of a digital native. We want to continue growing our audience across social networks by connecting readers with our content and engaging them in a two-way conversation. This of course means working closely with various reporters, editors, and desks across the newsroom.
We require experience using analytics to track audience growth and engagement across social platforms. You should be knowledgeable about trends in online news and curious about things that might work for The National Memo’s content. We’ll look for you to take initiative and oversee long-term projects and breaking news alike. You will bring social voice to our daily stories and infuse top flight internet research skills and community outreach in our enterprise reporting.
- 2+ years of journalism experience. Reporting/blogging/writing experience is required.
- Love of politics, national news and progressive ideals.
- Demonstrated experience building audience through social networks (Twitter, Facebook and beyond) preferably through branded (non-personal) accounts.
- Working knowledge of HTML and, quite simply, how the Internet works.
- Experience reading and using analytics (Google Analytics & Chartbeat) to help you make decisions.
- Ability to investigate and verify claims on social media.
- Experience producing and editing graphics, video and/or photos.
- Experience with WordPress.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Team player with desire to collaborate.
- Social media junkie.
- Ability to create a gif that makes us laugh.
We want to hear about how you’d use social tools across The National Memo to tell stories and engage readers. If you’re interested, please contact email@example.com with a cover letter in the body of an email stating your qualifications (with links!) and any passions or interests outside what you might think of as “work.” Also please attach a resume or just provide your public LinkedIn url.