We are Hiring!
Eastern Harbor Media seeks a creative, passionate and digitally-savvy Associate Political Editor to help lead its digital newsletter and its affiliated website The National Memo. The Associate Editor will help shape editorial strategy, solicit content, write effective headlines, edit copy, and write daily for our growing site, focused on progressive politics. The Associate Editor will create features, pinpoint viral content, solicit new material, assign stories, conduct and schedule interviews, and strategize creative supporting articles to support the primary content.
Our new editor will have an obsessive interest in politics and a keen sense of humor and irony. He/she must be able to write compelling subject lines, have a respect for data and strive daily to better engaging readers. He/she will know and exploit all the tools of social media and understand how they can allow publishers to get ahead of stories. The ideal candidate will bring a robust history of strategic digital content planning and execution, excellent news judgment, and superb organization and communication skills to the position. This is a fantastic entrepreneurial opportunity to join an expanding online publishing company focusing on progressive politics.
- Assign, edit, and write daily content designed to engage our readers and drive traffic
- Write compelling headlines
- Ensure that deadlines are met and content is published in a timely way
- Maintain editorial calendar
- Constantly refine editorial processes to improve efficiency
- Work closely with business team to ensure business objectives are met
Required Skills and Experience:
- Online editorial experience
- Strong judgment in prioritizing and selecting online content from a variety of sources for our target audience
- Deep understand of the web and how to spot potentially viral content.
- Passion for politics and excellent news judgment
- Strong project- and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects and manage daily and weekly deadlines.
- Top-notch copy writing and editing skills
- Excellent headline writing ability
- Proven ability to use and implement SEO keywords
- Ability to analyze customer feedback and respond appropriately
- Ability to diligently manage to the metrics and foster an analytics-driven culture
- Self-starter who is very comfortable working independently as well as collaboratively
- Experience supporting ad sales, marketing and business staff by conceiving and producing editorial components for programs and initiatives.
- Conscientious and energetic, reliable in his/her own responsibilities and happy to jump in to help with other tasks, both the exciting and the mundane
- Detail and fact-obsessed
- High energy and high work capacity; ability to juggle multiple priorities
- A strong work ethic and motivation to succeed
- Bachelors degree in Journalism, English or a related field
Eastern Harbor Media publishes daily newsletters for progressive Democrats. The Company’s flagship publication is The National Memo, which reaches 300,000-plus Democratic voters and activists via their inboxes each morning.
Salary commensurate with experience. Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com