NATO Scales Back Afghan Partnering After AttacksSeptember 17th, 2012 7:43 pm Associated Press
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — NATO says it has scaled back operations with Afghan soldiers and policemen to lower the risk of insider attacks and reduce local tensions over an anti-Islam film that prompted protests in Afghanistan.
So far this year, 51 international troops have been killed by Afghan forces or militants wearing their uniforms — a development that has fractured the trust between NATO troops and their Afghan allies.
Lt. Col. Rich Spiegel with the U.S.-led coalition said Monday that Lt. Gen. James Terry issued the directive on Sunday.
Until now, elements of NATO companies numbering roughly 100 soldiers routinely conducted operations — like patrolling or manning an outpost— with Afghan soldiers. NATO said such operations are no longer routine and require the approval of the regional commander.