The Department of Justice announced on Monday that the iPhone of the San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook has been cracked, ending the two-month struggle between the federal government and Apple over encryption in the age of terrorism attacks.
FBI Director admits to Congress: Effort to force cooperation from Apple in iPhone data “potentially precedential” in other cases.
Group of victims will file legal brief in support of the government’s position to force Apple to unlock terrorist’s phone.
Colbert: Mr. Trump, Mr. Pope — I believe that’s his formal name — is it possible that you guys are fighting because you have so much in common?”
By Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times (TNS) An Islamic State propaganda magazine praised the couple responsible for the San Bernardino terrorist attack as martyrs for killing 14 people, and suggested that the deadliest terrorist attack on U.S. soil since 9/11 was inspired — but not directed — by the organization. An essay that opens the […]
Federal authorities in Minnesota are looking at ways to steer some terrorism offenders away from radical ideologies and safely back into society.
Enrique Marquez has been indicted on charges he conspired with Syed Rizwan Farook, in 2011 and 2012 to provide material support to terrorists – weapons, explosives and personnel – for attacks that were never carried out.
A note scrawled in red ink on a page in Malik’s application reads: “applicant is pregnant due on 05-21-15,” a congressional official who has reviewed her immigration record said Monday.
Officials said they had never uncovered an alleged terrorist plot involving freeways until the San Bernardino killer and his childhood friend talked about one.
Syed Rizwan Farook, the man who mowed down dozens of his co-workers on Dec. 2 in San Bernardino, was planning a deadly attack in 2012 with an accomplice, Enrique Marquez.
Prosecutors: Marquez told investigators he agreed to purchase the weapons because “his appearance was Caucasian,” while Syed Farook “looked Middle Eastern.”
FBI chief: San Bernardino killers expressed support for “jihad and martyrdom” in private communications, but they never did so publicly on social media.
San Bernardino was the biggest explosion of international terrorism on American soil since 9/11, so the thin representation of elected officials was notable.
Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik had been radicalized “for quite some time” and practiced shooting at a gun range days before they opened fire on a San Bernardino holiday party, authorities said Monday.
The widow of a man killed in last week’s rampage in San Bernardino said Monday that she believed the two shooters targeted her husband. “I know my husband discussed religion and Israel with a lot of people, including” one of the shooters, his wife said.
As President Barack Obama spoke from the Oval Office to the nation on Sunday, and as the candidates seeking to replace him sought to recalibrate their positions, all sides faced a central problem: The nature of the attack defies the solutions that either party has been offering.
Much of Obama’s failure to drive the conversation his way — that his strategy against the Islamic State is working however slowly — stems from his own rhetoric, particularly his reluctance to speak in anger or alarm about terrorism.
The San Bernardino massacre, which killed 14 people, has focused new attention on “lone wolf” terrorists who plan attacks away from traditional high-profile targets without directly coordinating with others.
Syed Farook was Chicago-born, with Pakistani roots. He didn’t drink or smoke. He avoided TV and movies, preferring instead to tinker with old cars, work out and memorize the Quran. He had a $49,000-a-year government job as a health inspector and wanted a young wife who shared his Sunni Muslim faith.