Since its inception, the highly controversial ballot audit in Maricopa County, Ariz. has faced a number of hurdles that have ultimately contributed to it being weeks behind schedule.
From conspiracy theories to concerns about dark money from undisclosed donors, the audit has sparked numerous debates as Democratic lawmakers question its integrity. In fact, there are also concerns that all of the discrepancies could lead to inaccuracies in the audit results. So, what solution are Republican lawmakers considering to ensure this doesn't happen?
According to Arizona Central, the audit could be conducted for a second time. On Friday, the Republican-led Arizona state Senate came close to signing off on a second deal to conduct another recount. For the second audit, digitized images of ballots would be used as opposed to paper ballots.
Although the Florida-based firm Cyber Ninjas conducted the first audit, this time the county plans to employ the non-profit organization, Citizens Oversight. However, the organization is similar to Cyber Ninjas as it also has no known experience in ballot auditing prior to getting involved in former President Donald Trump's post-election legal battle.
During an interview with the publication, Ray Lutz, the group's founder, disclosed details about the impending second audit as he shared details about his auditing technology, "AuditEngine."
"I think it is certainly a big test for me because I have put a lot of work on it for the last year and a half or so," Lutz said. "We have enhanced it to the point now where I believe we can do a lot to provide information about how well [this election] went."
However, he did later admit that "sometimes we see mistakes that are made, on our side."
"This is a new system that is valuable for the public to have and we can use for examining these elections and finding out what happened," Lutz said. He told the paper he would accept outside donations — but not from political organizations or "crazies."
Senate audit liaison Ken Bennett promoted a different aspect of the audits as he insisted a second audit may be a good tool for comparison purposes.
Meanwhile, the audit being conducted by Cyber Ninjas reportedly "is not going well," according to Talking Points Memo. Last week, Jennifer Morrell, who served as an audit observer for Arizona Secretary of State Katie Hobbs' (D) office, weighed in on the seemingly chaotic Cyber Ninjas audit. In a perspective piece published by The Washington Post, Morrell shed light on the disorganization and mismanagement of the audit.
"In more than a decade working on elections, audits, and recounts across the country, I've never seen one this mismanaged," wrote Morrell.
- Arizona Senators Huddling With QAnon Figures On 2020 Election ... ›
- What? Arizona 'Audit' Observers Required To Sign Non-Disclosure ... ›
- Arizona Audit Just Cost County Taxpayers An Extra $6 Million ... ›
- 'Reckless And Irresponsible': Maricopa Sheriff Blasts Arizona Audit's ... ›
- VIDEO: Maricopa Republicans Urge Shutdown Of Arizona 'Audit ... ›
- Arizona 'Audit' Bolsters 2020 Lies -- And GOP's Growing Insurrection ... ›
- Outfit Running Arizona 'Election Audit' Insists On Secrecy, Rejects ... ›
- Arizona Audit's Major Procedural Flaws Will Create Conflict With ... ›
- GOP Wants To Expand Arizona 'Audit,' But DOJ May Shut It Down ... ›
- New Poll: Arizona Voters Reject 2020 Election 'Audit' - National Memo ›
- Stop Calling The Arizona Recount Charade An ‘Audit’ - National Memo ›
- Arizona ‘Fraudit’ Challenged By Experienced Election Auditors - National Memo ›
- Tensions Flare Among Arizona Republicans Over Discredited ‘Fraudit’ - National Memo ›
- Arizona Secretary Of State Seeks Criminal Probe Of Trump - National Memo ›
- House Democrats Demand Answers From Cyber Ninjas On Arizona ‘Fraudit’ - National Memo ›
- Cyber Ninjas Whine As Arizona 'Audit' Is Proved Utterly Pointless - National Memo ›
- Arizona Senate's Liaison Reinstated With New Authority Over 'Audit' Result - National Memo ›
- Arizona 'Audit' Report Likely To Concede That Biden Won In 2020 - National Memo ›
- Maricopa County Says Arizona 'Audit' Shows Biden Victory - National Memo ›
- What if the renegade Arizona audit declares Trump won? ›
- Arizona election audit progress: 'We'll do it until it's done. And that's ... ›
- I watched Arizona's unprecedented election audit – here's what's ... ›
- Arizona GOP's election 'audit' going far worse than Trump realizes ›
- Inside Arizona's election audit, GOP fraud fantasies live on ›
- DOJ: Arizona Senate Audit, Recount May Violate Federal Law : NPR ›
- What's Happening In Arizona Is Not Really An Audit Or A Recount ... ›