Reprinted with permission from American Independent
President-elect Joe Biden on Wednesday delivered a forceful rebuke of Donald Trump, blaming him for the violent mob of his supporters that took over the U.S. Capitol as they tried to help aid Trump and the GOP's coup attempt.
"The words of a president matter no matter how good or bad that president is. At their best, the words of a president can inspire, at their worst, they can incite," Biden said in an address, clearly laying blame for the terrorist incident at the Capitol at Trump's feet. "I call on President Trump to go on national television now to fulfill his oath and defend the Constitution and demand an end to this siege."
Biden went on to list off the actions the Trump mob took, including breaking into the building, smashing windows, and threatening elected officials.
"It's not protest, it's insurrection," Biden said of the mob's actions. "The world is watching. Like so many other Americans, I am genuinely shocked and saddened that our nation so long the beacon of light and hope for democracy, has come to such a dark moment."
Minutes after Biden spoke, Trump released a video finally telling his supporters to disperse.
Yet, he still pushed the baseless lies about a stolen election that inspired the mob to rebel in the first place.
"I know your pain, I know you're hurt, we had an election that was stolen from us, it was a landslide election and everyone knows it, especially the other side, but you have to go home now, we have to have peace, we have to have law and order, weh ave to respect our great people in law and order, we don't want anyone hurt," Trump said in the video, which he posted to Twitter.
But before releasing a video, Trump egged on the mob, telling them multiple times earlier in the day to go march to the Capitol, where his supporters attacked police officers. NBC News reported that improvised explosive devices were even found near the Capitol building but had been safely detonated without injury.
The New York Times reported that Trump's aides tried furiously to get him to get the mob to disperse, to no avail.
Some of his closest current and former aides even took to Twitter to publicly implore him to tell his supporters to leave.
"Now is the time for the President to be presidential," Mick Mulvaney, Trump's former chief of staff, tweeted, adding, "The President's tweet is not enough. He can stop this now and needs to do exactly that. Tell these folks to go home."
It's unclear what eventually got Trump to act.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Barr Openly Promotes Trump's Dictatorial Ambitions - National Memo ›
- As Trump Hides In White House, Internet Rips His 'Cowardice ... ›
- Democrats Accuse Trump Of 'Fanning The Flames' Of Violence ... ›
- Proud Boys Leader, A Convicted Felon, Will Face Illegal Weapons ... ›
- Proud Boys Attacked Black Churches In DC — Just Like KKK ... ›
- ‘Remember This Day Forever’: Trump Celebrates His Mob’s Assault On Capitol - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Scarborough Drops F-Bomb, Demands Arrest Of Trump, Junior, And Rudy - National Memo ›
- WATCH: Mulvaney Resigns In Protest, Says Others Will Also Quit - National Memo ›
- 'The Day That Broke The GOP': Republicans Abandon Trump In Wake Of MAGA Riot ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Right-Wing Websites Revealed Plans For Washington Violence - National Memo ›
- Second Trump Impeachment Looms As Democrats Demand Action - National Memo ›
- VIDEO: Thugs Who Attacked Capitol Were Prepared To Take Hostages — And Execute Them - National Memo ›
- The Police Officer Murdered By Trump’s ‘Law And Order Patriots’ - National Memo ›
- West Virginia GOP Legislator Charged In Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Far-Right Media Provocateurs Cheered On Capitol Violence - National Memo ›
- Trump Signals That His Coup Plotting Isn’t Really Over - National Memo ›
- House Democrats Will Vote On Trump Impeachment Early Next Week - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: WATCH Cruz, Graham, Giuliani Try To Escape Complicity In Riot - National Memo ›
- Notorious White Nationalists Identified In Capitol Rioting - National Memo ›
- ’Totally Appropriate’: Trump Insists Speech Inciting Capitol Riot Was Just Fine - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- Eric Trump Blames ‘Cancel Culture’ For Capitol Riot Blowback - National Memo ›
- Republicans Suspected Of Conspiring In Capitol Attack - National Memo ›
- ‘High Alert’: State Capitols Preparing For Armed Trumpist Assault - National Memo ›
- Several Police Officers Busted For Attacking Capitol - National Memo ›
- Alibi For Insurrection? ’Trump Invited Us’ To Capitol - National Memo ›
- Lindsey Graham Slammed For Decrying Impeachment As ‘Divisive’ - National Memo ›
- ‘Cruz Would Want Us To Do This’: Stunning Video Of Rioters On Senate Floor - National Memo ›
- ’Seditious Conspiracy’ Complaint Filed Against Three House Members In Capitol Riot - National Memo ›
- Donald Trump Warns Supporters Could Riot if He Doesn't Get GOP ... ›
- Riot police arrive after Trump supporters storm the US Capitol | AFP ›
- Trump courts 'riots' by 'inciting people,' ex-defense chief Hagel says ›
- Trump Supporters, Counterprotesters Clash At DC Rally Contesting ... ›
- Pro-Trump rally in D.C.: Multiple people stabbed after thousands ... ›
- MAGA March in DC: Violence erupts after thousands of Trump ... ›
- Pro-Trump supporters flood DC to protest election - CNNPolitics ›