Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
As violent Trump supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol to prevent Congress from counting the electoral votes that made Joe Biden the president-elect, Jon Ossoff has been projected to defeat David Perdue, winning his Georgia Senate runoff and giving Democrats the narrowest possible control of the Senate. Ossoff's lead is larger than Biden's win in the state in November, and is expected to grow outside the one-half percent margin under which Perdue could request a recount.
Ossoff joins Senator-elect Raphael Warnock in making history, as Georgia will send to Washington, D.C., its first Black senator and its first Jewish one. Just over a century ago, Georgia was the site of the anti-Semitic lynching of Leo Frank. His win comes on a day when we are reminded of the nation's history of white supremacist violence.
With Ossoff and Warnock, the Senate's partisan split will be 50-50, with Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, in her role as president of the Senate, breaking ties. This makes Biden's job in the early weeks of his presidency much, much easier—rather than a series of protracted confirmation battles, with Mitch McConnell in the majority leader role refusing to even give some nominees a vote, Biden can make the nominations he wants and focus on other things. But, again, the events of the day are a stark reminder of how much damage there is to undo.
- Texas Republican Touts 'Hot Civil War' If Democrats Win Georgia ... ›
- With Ossoff Near Victory In Georgia, Democrats Closing On Control ... ›
- Surge Of Newly Registered Voters In Georgia Could Flip Senate Blue ›
- Georgia's First Day Of Early Runoff Voting Breaks Record - National ... ›
- In Georgia Runoff, Republicans Attack Absentee Voting, Again ... ›
- Georgia Senate Special Will Go To Runoff - National Memo ›
- Rev. Raphael Warnock Defeats Kelly Loeffler In Georgia Senate ... ›
- Bless Her Heart, Kelly Loeffler Is Back — And She's Fixing To Suppress Black Votes - National Memo ›
- Trump Seeking To Punish Honest Georgia Official In GOP Primary - National Memo ›
- Georgia Senate runoff results: Jon Ossoff beats David Perdue - Vox ›
- Perdue is slightly favored to win Georgia's Senate election ›
- Democrat Jon Ossoff Claims Victory Over David Perdue In Georgia ... ›
- Georgia Senate Runoff 2021: Latest Race Updates & Polls - POLITICO ›
- Georgia Senate runoff elections: Live updates and results - The ... ›
- Live Updates: Warnock projected to win Georgia Senate seat as ... ›