Reprinted with permission from Alternet
A former Senate Republican candidate on Tuesday copped to her political party's blatant push for voter suppression after the GOP lost control of the Senate in a pair of runoff elections in January 2021.
On Tuesday, March 9. attorney and former Republican Ron Filipkowski took to Twitter with a controversial clip of Lauren Witzke, a former Senate candidate in the state of Delaware. The clip, which came from Witzke's recent appearance on the podcast ConservaTMZ, underscores Republican lawmakers' efforts to overhaul voting laws, not for the purpose of election integrity but rather for the sake of survival and winning.
In the video, Witzke noted the difficulty the Republican Party could face in future elections if Democratic voting trends continue along the same upward trajectory. The former politician discussed a piece of legislation, currently proposed in the state of Georgia, that lawmakers are planning to pressure Republican Gov. Brian Kemp to sign into law. The bill would prohibit mail-in voting and drop boxes while incorporating other restrictive measures for voting.
According to Witzke, the proposed legislation could "cut Stacy Abrams off at the knees." Despite claiming that the bill is for the purpose of restoring "election integrity," she also admitted, "All I care about is winning." She also admitted that without overhauls of voting laws, the Republican Party may not have a chance at winning future elections.
With the video he posted, Filipkowski publicly lambasted Witzke for her remarks as he noted that right-wing politicians typically state their real intentions when they appear on platforms that support their agenda.
"When they go on right-wing fringe media and podcasts, that's when they say the quiet parts out loud," Filipkowski tweeted. "Here is former US Senate (DE) candidate Lauren Witzke talking about voter suppression laws in GA. "It will cut Stacy Abrams off at the knees... All I care about is winning."
The latest proposed bill Witkze discussed is one of more than 250 introduced by Republican lawmakers across 43 states.
- Georgia Republicans Vote To Eliminate No-Excuse Absentee Voting ... ›
- Why Republicans Declared Open Season On American Voters ... ›
- Republicans Trying To Restrict Voting May See Their Schemes ... ›
- ‘Everybody Shouldn’t Be Voting’ Blurts Arizona Republican Legislator ›
- Partisan Battles In Swing States Are Costing Democracy Dearly - National Memo ›
- Discredited Trump Lawyer Will Run Anti-Voter Initiatives For GOP ›
- New Hampshire Republicans Aiming To Outlaw Student Voters - National Memo ›
- As Georgia Stifles Black Voters, Virginia Expands Voting Rights - National Memo ›
- It’s Time For Corporate America To Step Up And Defend Democracy - National Memo ›
- Sweeping Election Law Changes Signed By Georgia Gov. Kemp - National Memo ›
- Gov. Kemp Signed Voter Suppression Law Under Painting Of Slave Plantation - National Memo ›
- House Democrats Vow To Bring Georgia Voters Water After GOP Criminalizes It - National Memo ›
- Lindsey Graham Accuses President Of ‘Playing Race Card’ On HR 1 - National Memo ›
- Can GOP Autocracy Outlaw American Democracy? - National Memo ›
- Georgia Election Law Is A Civil Rights Issue, Not A Partisan Quarrel - National Memo ›
- As Delta And Coke Officials Protest, Kemp Lies About New Election Law - National Memo ›
- How Far Will Democrats Go To Defend Democracy Now? - National Memo ›
- Republicans Attack ‘Woke’ Companies At Their Peril - National Memo ›
- Major Law Firms Vow Action Against Voter Suppression - National Memo ›
- Danziger Draws - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: Texas Democrat Schools Republican On Racist 'Purity' Phrase - National Memo ›
- Done With 2020, Lindsey Graham Is 'Moving On' To Voter Suppresion 2022 - National Memo ›
- The Ultimate GOP ‘Insurance Policy’ For Stealing Elections, Exposed - National Memo ›
- #EndorseThis: CNN Exposes Dark Money Outfit Boasting About Voter Suppression ›
- Texas GOP Enacts ‘Ruthless’ Voter Suppression, Sparking Calls For Federal Action - National Memo ›
- Alabama Republicans Target Disabled With New Voting Restrictions - National Memo ›
- Texas Attorney General Admits Voter Suppression Saved State For Trump - National Memo ›
- Texas Democrats Leave State To Thwart Passage Of Voter Suppression Bills - National Memo ›