Reprinted with permission from American Independent
House Republicans are privately grumbling about House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, saying his effort to oust Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) from the GOP top brass raises questions about his leadership and his ability to serve as speaker if Republicans regain control of the House, Politico reported.
According to Politico's report, House Republicans — some of them considered allies of McCarthy's — are frustrated that McCarthy has taken more action to punish Cheney for criticizing Donald Trump while letting the behavior of Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) slide.
Gaetz is under federal investigation for alleged child sex trafficking, while Greene has made offensive comments and rankled her fellow Republicans by interfering with House business.
One unnamed GOP lawmaker told Politico, referring to McCarthy's possible speaker vote:
Kevin McCarthy has pissed off enough members of his own conference that he's going to have to go back to his former days as a whip to try to figure out where his votes are. I'd be worried if I was him. … You have people like me — who are here to do the right thing for all the right reasons and have an expectation of leadership — that are, shall we say, disgusted with the internal squabbling that results from having weak leadership. And it is weak leadership. Straight up.
Other GOP lawmakers have been more vocal in their frustration with McCarthy.
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL), who has stood up for Cheney and similarly criticized Trump for his election lies and incitement of insurrection, said McCarthy has been inconsistent with his own comments toward Trump.
At a virtual event hosted by the National Press Foundation, Kinzinger pointed out that McCarthy also blamed Trump for the January 6 riot at the Capitol before later absolving Trump and embracing the ex-commander-in-chief.
"She is being run out for one thing: her consistency," Kinzinger said at the event, according to CNN. "She said the exact same thing that Kevin McCarthy said on January 6, which is Donald Trump is responsible" for the riot.
Indeed, on January 13, the day the House impeached Trump for a second time for inciting the Capitol insurrection, McCarthy said Trump needs to "accept his share of responsibility" for the riot.
"The president bears responsibility for Wednesday's attack on Congress by mob rioters," McCarthy said in a speech on the House floor, even though he voted against impeaching Trump. "He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding. These facts require immediate action by President Trump."
Kinzinger went on to accuse McCarthy of lying in an eye-popping remark.
"You cannot unite with lies, if somebody is going to use lies to gain power and say, 'let's have unity,' you can't do it," Kinzinger said, an apparent reference to McCarthy's comments that Cheney cannot be in leadership because her comments don't unify the House conference. "'We need to remove Liz Cheney because she makes me have to answer questions that I know are false.' That's what they're saying."
Ultimately, McCarthy announced on Monday that Republicans will vote on Wednesday on whether to remove Cheney from her leadership role. Multiple reports say Cheney is almost assured to lose her leadership post.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Announcing Cheney Ouster, McCarthy Insists GOP Is 'A Big Tent ... ›
- Hot Mic Catches House GOP Leader Whining About Liz Cheney ... ›
- Why Republicans Want To Replace Cheney With 'Big Liar' Stefanik ... ›
- 'Unscrupulous' Stefanik Is Perfect For Trump-Owned GOP - National ... ›
- GOP Leaders Preparing To Oust Cheney Over Clashes With Trump ... ›
- McCarthy Skirted Ethics Rules To Rent Pollster’s Luxury Pad - National Memo ›
- McCarthy: Nobody Is ‘Questioning The Legitimacy’ Of The 2020 Election - National Memo ›
- Liz Cheney Won’t Be Exiled To Political Wilderness - National Memo ›
- Defiant Cheney ‘Will Do Everything I Can’ To Stop Trump In 2024 ›
- The Dirty Secret Behind the Cheney Purge - National Memo ›
- Cheney: McCarthy Should Testify About Jan. 6, Under Subpoena If Necessary - National Memo ›
- Former Speaker Ryan Raising Funds For Trump Critic Kinzinger - National Memo ›
- ‘He’s Such A Moron’: Pelosi Exasperated By McCarthy’s Latest Anti-Mask Outburst - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Weirdly Parrots QAnon Rhetoric: ’The Storm Is Coming’ - National Memo ›
- McCarthy Excoriated Over ‘Joking’ Threat To Hit Pelosi With Gavel - National Memo ›
- Why So-Called Tough Guys Are Always Punching Down ›
- Looking Right Through Kevin McCarthy - National Memo ›
- House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy Says He Backs Ousting Liz ... ›
- GOP leader Kevin McCarthy will vote to oust Liz Cheney - YouTube ›
- McCarthy rejects kicking Cheney from GOP leadership - POLITICO ›
- Donald Trump weighs in on Liz Cheney's expected ouster by ... ›
- Behind Liz Cheney's Break With Kevin McCarthy Over Trump - WSJ ›
- McCarthy Encourages Cheney Ouster - The New York Times ›
- Kevin McCarthy's nonsensical reason for ousting Liz Cheney - The ... ›
- McCarthy backs ousting Cheney from GOP leadership, paving way ... ›