Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Federal agents investigating Florida Republican Congressman Matt Gaetz for possibly underaged sex trafficking and for a possible sexual relationship with an underaged girl were able to get a federal judge to sign off on a search warrant and execute that warrant, seizing his iPhone late last year.
"Gaetz's predicament as the subject of a serious investigation became clearer this winter when federal agents executed a search warrant and seized his iPhone, Politico reports, "according to interviews with three people who were told of the matter by Gaetz, who changed his phone number in late December."
"Around that time, the sources said, federal agents also seized his former girlfriend's phone before she went into work at a state agency in the morning. She declined comment."
It may not be unprecedented but it is extremely unusual for a sitting member of Congress to be served with a search warrant for a highly sensitive item like a cell phone.
Politico also details Gaetz's 2018 trip to the Bahamas, where he "was joined by two GOP allies: Halsey Beshears, then a state legislator, and Jason Pirozzolo, a hand surgeon and Republican fundraiser for DeSantis, according to three sources, including one who was part of the group."
"Also among those on the trip: the former minor who is key to the investigation, whose presence on the trip was previously unreported. According to one of the women in the group who spoke on condition of anonymity, everyone on the trip was over the age of 18 — including the woman in question, who had turned 18 years old months before the trip, she said."
"No one on the trip engaged in prostitution, the source said," Politico adds.
Gaetz has denied any wrongdoing and as previously reported has obtained two high-powered attorneys.
- Greene Pipes Up With 'Support Matt Gaetz' As Scandal Swamps ... ›
- Women Recount Sex-And-Drug Partying With Gaetz Gang - National ... ›
- 'Not Surprised': As Gaetz Sinks In Scandal, Trump And His Allies ... ›
- Report: Gaetz Asked Trump To Grant Him A Broad, 'Pre-Emptive ... ›
- Gaetz Junket To Bahamas Included Hotels, Flight — And Female ... ›
- Uh Oh: Gaetz 'Wingman' Joel Greenberg Seeking Plea Deal ... ›
- Fox News Went 30 Hours Without Mentioning Gaetz Scandal ... ›
- Former Gaetz Fan Hannity Leaves Him For Dead - National Memo ›
- Feds Probing Gaetz Over Possible Bribery In Bahamas Sex Trip - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Exposure Deepens With New Evidence Of Trump Pardon Effort - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Probe Shifts Toward 'Larger Review Of Public Corruption' - National Memo ›
- Gaetz Crony Expected To Plead Guilty In Federal Court On Monday - National Memo ›
- As Ex-Girlfriend Flips For Prosecutors, Gaetz Insists He’s Ignoring Scandal - National Memo ›
- Greene Says She And Gaetz Are 'Taking Charge' In GOP 'Civil War' - National Memo ›
- Gaetz: The Second Amendment Is Meant For ‘Armed Rebellion’ - National Memo ›
- Matt Gaetz's Florida Sex Scandal Hasn't Sunk Him Yet ›
- How Scandal-Plagued Matt Gaetz Became 'Excommunicado' at Fox ... ›
- Marc Caputo lays out the developing scandal around Rep. Matt Gaetz ›
- Joel Greenberg Tried to Get Pardon From Trump Through Gaetz ... ›
- Matt Gaetz Gets a Scandal As Wild As Him ›
- The Matt Gaetz Scandal Keeps Getting Worse ›
- The veteran air force pilot hoping to oust scandal-hit Republican ... ›
- Justice Department investigating Matt Gaetz as part of broader ... ›