Reprinted with permission from Media Matters
A poll released this weekend by the progressive strategy firm Data for Progress found the American public did not buy into a relentless propaganda campaign from right-wing media, which attempted to blame the Texas blackouts on renewable energy sources.
Instead, the public understood the reality of what went on: All power sources in the state had failed, including the state's primary fossil fuels.
The poll asked respondents which of the following options caused the power outages in Texas:
- Unusually cold winter weather conditions caused Texas power plants, including coal, natural gas, nuclear, and renewable energy sources, to go offline. This caused power outages across the state.
- Texas invested too much in renewable energy like wind and solar energy. Wind turbines froze because of the cold weather which led to power outages across the state.
In response, 64 percent of surveyed people correctly picked the first option, compared to only 28 percent who thought that Texas had over-invested itself in wind turbines. Even 50 percent of self-identified Republicans chose the correct answer, while 41 percent blamed renewable energy. The poll was conducted from February 19 to 22, surveying likely voters nationally via web panels.
Among self-identified Republicans who watch Fox News, the percentage was slightly lower: 47 percent picked the correct option. Finally, Republicans who watch Fox's far-right competitors Newsmax and One America News were even more divorced from reality — with an actual majority believing that the blackouts were because of wind turbines.
An earlier Media Matters study had found that Fox programming lied 128 times over less than 48 hours, falsely attributing the power outages to failures in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines.
For example, Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott told Fox host Sean Hannity that his state's catastrophe "shows how the Green New Deal would be a deadly deal for the United States of America." (Of course, the Green New Deal is not currently the law in Texas.) Meanwhile, Abbott had admitted in other settings that the state's natural gas and coal infrastructure had also frozen over.
By contrast, local media in Texas widely debunked the misinformation, explaining that natural gas infrastructure was freezing over and more to blame than wind power, and that the root problem was from the state's failure to require utilities to winterize.
- Cruz Begs Disaster Aid For Texas -- But Denied Help To Other ... ›
- While Texas Froze, Feckless Republican Leaders Failed Again ... ›
- As Texas Grid Failed, Energy Industry Saw Enormous Profit Surge ... ›
- Right-Wing Media Using Texas Disaster To Discredit Clean Energy ... ›
- #EndorseThis: Seth Meyers Scrubs GOP Lies About Texas Disaster ... ›
- MSNBC's Morning Joe busts Texas governor's 'preposterous lie ... ›
- 'He Is Lying. People Are Dying': Calls for Texas Governor to Resign ... ›
- Tucker Carlson Is Lying to You About the Texas Power Outage ›
- Chris Hayes debunks GOP, right-wing media lies about Texas ... ›
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott lies on Fox News about cause of the state's ... ›
- Republican leaders in Texas face growing backlash as power crisis ... ›
- Fox News turns Winter Storm Uri into a cudgel to own the libs ›
- Don't fall for new GOP lies. In reality, deadly Texas freeze is a plea ... ›
- Fox News Recycles Lies About Wind Turbines in Texas ›
- Texas lawmakers' tweets mocking California power outages ... ›
- Abbott and other Texas Republicans blame green energy for fossil ... ›
- Opinion | Insane GOP lies about Texas offer a depressing preview of ... ›