Reprinted with permission from Alternet
President Donald Trump continued to attack the process of certifying Joe Biden's 2020 electoral win on Wednesday, even as mobs of his supporters violently thronged the U.S. Capitol and shut down Congress's official counting of the votes.
After Trump had held a nearby rally, the aggressive protesters began clashing with Capitol Police outside of the building where lawmakers met. They pushed through barricades, attacked law enforcement, and eventually breached the building, forcing lawmakers to suspend their proceedings. Nearby buildings were evacuated by officials.
Vice President Mike Pence, who had refused to abide by the president's demands to subvert the constitutional process and somehow overturn Biden's win, was rushed out of the proceedings.
While all this was going on, many pointed out that Trump could probably stop the chaos with a single tweet. Instead, he decided to throw fuel on the fire:
Those inside the Capitol Building were directed to shelter in place for safety.
Message to people inside the Capitol: “Lock all doors if able. If unable, seek shelter or concealment. Remain calm… https://t.co/N4KnU89qeY— Chad Pergram (@Chad Pergram) 1609961653.0
To be explicitly clear — this is literally right outside the Senate chamber where all senators (and Pence, until he… https://t.co/wlS7HuAUnT— Seung Min Kim (@Seung Min Kim) 1609961176.0
- How Trump Plans To Remain In Power: 'Get Rid Of The Ballots ... ›
- Tape Reveals Trump Pressured Georgia Official To 'Recalculate ... ›
- Senate Republicans Brawl Over Trump's Coup Plot - National Memo ›
- Officials 'Increasingly Alarmed' Over White House Coup Plotting ... ›
- The American Institutions That Broke Trump's Coup - National Memo ›
- Proud Boys Leader, A Convicted Felon, Will Face Illegal Weapons ... ›
- What Will Happen If Trump Sues To Overturn Election Results ... ›
- Proud Boys Attacked Black Churches In DC — Just Like KKK ... ›
- 'The Day That Broke The GOP': Republicans Abandon Trump In Wake Of MAGA Riot ›
- Hometown Papers Demand Expulsion Of GOP Lawmakers Who Stoked Insurrection - National Memo ›
- Why Republicans Must Confess Complicity In Trump’s Big Lie - National Memo ›
- 'Craziest Meeting’ Of Trump’s Presidency Involved Flynn, Powell, And Talk Of ‘Emergency Powers’ - National Memo ›
- Trump's assault on election prompts critics to warn of a coup - The ... ›
- Trump Floats Coup Plan So Wild Even Giuliani Is Terrified ›
- Trump's Coup Attempt Isn't Over | The New Yorker ›
- MAGA March in DC: Violence erupts after thousands of Trump ... ›
- Pro-Trump supporters flood DC to protest election - CNNPolitics ›
- Republicans Objecting To Electoral Count: Ted Cruz, Mo Brooks ... ›
- Republicans' Election Challenges Threaten Democratic Norms | Time ›
- Trump's challenges to election results: What they are and what could ... ›