The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

MTHATHA, South Africa (AFP) – A South African court on Tuesday ordered the return of the remains of three of Nelson Mandela’s children to his ancestral village, following a bitter family feud linked to the eventual burial site of the ailing anti-apartheid hero.

A judge in the southern city of Mthatha instructed Mandela’s eldest grandson Mandla to transfer the remains to Qunu by 3:00 pm on Wednesday.

Mandla allegedly had the graves moved to Mvezo, about 18 miles away, without the rest of the family’s consent in 2011.

Mandela, who remains critically ill in what is now his fourth week in hospital, had expressed his wish to be buried in Qunu, and his daughters want to have the children’s remains transferred so they can be together.

Mandela’s parents are also interred at the family gravesite in Qunu.

Previously the grandson has argued that Mandela should be buried at his birthplace Mvezo, where Mandla holds court as clan chief.

The court order was issued in response to a request by 16 relatives of the revered leader, including two daughters and several grandchildren.

“I now rule that the respondent complies with the order to return the remains by 3:00 pm on Wednesday,” said Judge Lusindiso Pakade.

The remains belonged to Mandela’s eldest son Thembekile who died in 1969, his nine-month-old infant Makaziwe who passed away in 1948, and Mandla’s own father Magkatho who died in 2005.

Mandla’s spokesman Freddy Pilusa told AFP on Monday that the grandson “has no issues with the repatriation of any of those remains. But obviously it has to be done by those people who have the authority to do so,” he added. Those things would have been decided in the family. But now they’re not in the family. They’re in the court.”

Pilusa said on Tuesday that he was unable to comment on the court ruling.

Mandela has three surviving children, and a host of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Youtube Screenshot

On July 21, Verizon followed in DirecTV’s footsteps and announced it would not be renewing its contract with the far-right conspiracy theory network One America News. Having learned nothing from its catastrophic response to DirecTV, OAN denounced Verizon and encouraged viewers to harass and boycott the “radical Marxist corporation.” And since then, OAN has only further proved its worthlessness.

Without a major carrier, OAN remains focused on national issues like a fear of roving transgender gangs harassing conservatives, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s support for gay men who flash “their genitals to little boys and girls” (she appeared on RuPaul’s Drag Race -- a show with no children -- two years ago), and Verizon’s “censorship” of OAN.

Keep reading... Show less
Youtube Screenshot

Postcards from the great American labor shortage: A couple arrives at the Seattle airport after a five-hour flight and stands in line at the car rental desk. People are angry. At the desk sits a harassed employee explaining that he simply has no cars of any kind to rent. Nothing. Why? There aren't enough employees on hand to vacuum, wash, fuel and process the cars.

Another snapshot. A couple has been driving for several hours and requires a bathroom stop. They pull into a Burger King. The doors are locked. The only service is at the drive-thru. Why? Lack of employees.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}