The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

Cowboys Owner Sued Over ‘Sexual Assault’: Report

@AFP

Dallas (AFP) — Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been sued by a former exotic dancer for an alleged sexual assault in 2009 in a hotel bathroom, The Dallas Morning News reported.

The 71-year-old businessman, who bought the famed National Football League club in 1989, is being sued for more than $1 million in punitive damages by Jana Weckerly, a 27-year-old Oklahoma woman.

Weckerly accuses Jones of fondling her, forcing her to fondle him and watch him engage in sex with another woman, according to the report.

In a statement to ESPN, Levi McCathern, Jones’ attorney, called the lawsuit an attempt to embarrass Jones.

“These allegations are completely false,” he said. “The legal complaint is unsupported by facts or evidence of any kind. This is nothing more than an attempt to embarrass and extort Jerry Jones. This is a shakedown by a lawyer who is a solo practitioner just trying to make a name for himself.

“We intend to vigorously contest this complaint and expect it will be shown for what it is — a money grab.”

Details of an encounter between Jones and multiple women, including photos of Jones with women in provocative poses, were made public last month.

On Sunday, Jones told the newspaper that “someone has misrepresented photos taken at a restaurant five years ago for their own purposes. I’m just not going to comment on it.”

The lawsuit claims Jones forced Weckerly to sign an agreement to conceal the alleged incident.

Thomas Bowers, Weckerly’s lawyer, told the newspaper that she was in counseling and taking medication to cope with trauma from the alleged incident.

AFP Photo/Tom Pennington

Interested in more sports and national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

This is the first of what is sure to be way too many campaign columns to come. If you’d like them to land in your email inbox every time I write one, please buy a subscription.

Keep reading...Show less

Tape of home invasion attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul Pelosi

Youtube Screenshot

Video released Friday of the harrowing home invasion and assault that nearly killed then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband in October brought little in the way of self-reflection or regret from far-right Internet trolls and Fox News stars who spent months baselessly insisting that the attack had actually resulted from a gay tryst gone wrong. Instead, the denizens of the right-wing conspiracy theory ecosystem either claimed that the new evidence proved that they were right all along, or used it to float additional conspiracy theories about why it hadn’t been released earlier.

The key facts were available within hours of the October 28, 2022, attack. Law enforcement swiftly alleged that David DePape broke into the Democratic leader’s home in the middle of the night seeking to harm her and pummeled her 82-year-old husband Paul, sending him to the hospital for emergency surgery. Journalists who reviewed DePape’s Internet history subsequently revealed that he had been radicalized online and espoused a wide array of right-wing conspiracy theories, including QAnon.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}