The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Mexico City (AFP) – Mexican filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron said Wednesday he was surprised by the success of his space thriller “Gravity” and insisted that it was too soon to think about the Oscars.

The film, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as astronauts adrift after a space accident, has garnered rave reviews and a North American box office record for an October release by earning $55.8 million in its debut weekend earlier this month.

“We did not expect such a response,” Cuaron told a news conference during a presentation of his film in a Mexico City hotel.

The movie has generated an Oscars buzz and drawn comparisons to Stanley Kubrik’s 1968 sci-fi classic “2001: A Space Odyssey” ever since it opened the Venice film festival in August.

But when asked whether “Gravity” could win more than one Academy Award, Cuaron said: “The truth is — thinking, dreaming about it — no. It is too early.”

The film has won plaudits from legendary Hollywood directors Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino and James Cameron, who called it “the best space film ever done.”

Cuaron, who shot to fame with the 2001 Mexican drama “Y Tu Mama Tambien,” said he had received calls and emails from colleagues offering praise.

“I understand this coming those whom I more or less know, but it’s something else (to get calls) from old masters with whom I have no relationship and who suddenly communicate in this way,” the 52-year-old director said.

“I can’t ask for more,” said Cuaron, who was accompanied by his 31-year-old son Jonas, who co-wrote the screenplay with him.

AFP Photo/Ronaldo Schemidt

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Reprinted with permission from Media Matters

After the Anti-Defamation League again called for Fox News host Tucker Carlson's firing due to his promotion of the white nationalist "great replacement" conspiracy theory, Carlson's first response was to tell a podcast interviewer, "Fuck them." His second was to use his prime-time show to blame a Jew for the resettlement of Afghan refugees in "your" neighborhood, echoing the apparent motivation of the alleged perpetrator of the 2018 Pittsburgh synagogue massacre.

Keep reading... Show less

Dominic Pezzola, center rear with grey beard, confronts Capitol Police officer outside U.S. Senate Chambers.

Photo from U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

The next time that right-wing gaslighters—whether Tucker Carlson or other far-right pundits, or Republican congressmen—try to valorize the insurrectionists who attacked the U.S. Capitol on January 6 by depicting them as harmless protesters, it might be helpful for everyone to review the case of Proud Boy Dominic Pezzola, charged with conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, assault, and multiple other felonies.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}