The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Los Angeles (AFP) – The jury mulling whether tour promoters AEG Live should pay huge damages to Michael Jackson’s family over his 2009 death has reached a verdict, a court spokeswoman said Wednesday.

The six-man, six-woman panel — which has been meeting since Thursday afternoon after a five-month trial in Los Angeles — deliberated for about three days, since last Thursday.

The verdict was due to be read out in court at 3:30 pm, said a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Superior Court, where the trial got under way in April.

Jackson died on June 25, 2009 from an overdose of the anesthetic propofol given by doctor Conrad Murray at his rented mansion in Los Angeles, where he was rehearsing for the shows at London’s O2 Arena.

Murray, a Grenada-born cardiologist, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in a criminal trial in 2011 for giving the drug to the star — who suffered from chronic insomnia — to help him sleep. Murray was jailed for four years.

In the civil trial, the singer’s mother Katherine Jackson, 83, alleges that AEG Live negligently hired an inappropriate and incompetent doctor and missed a series of red flags about the star’s failing health in the run-up to his death.

The Jacksons want AEG Live to pay $85 million to each of the star’s three children for emotional loss, and an unspecified amount for economic losses, estimated at up to $1.6 billion. AEG’s lawyers call the figures “absurd.”

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

President Joe Biden

Washington (AFP) - Joe Biden sought to reset his presidency in a marathon press conference Wednesday, vowing to reconnect with voters in his second year and touting what he said were his unprecedented successes.

"Can you think of any other president that's done as much in one year?" Biden asked, ticking off the epic struggle against Covid-19 and trillions of dollars in government funding to save the US economy from pandemic fallout.

Keep reading... Show less

By Lawrence Hurley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected former President Donald Trump's request to block the release of White House records sought by the Democratic-led congressional panel investigating last year's deadly attack on the Capitol by a mob of his supporters.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}