The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

WASHINGTON (AFP) – On Monday, the U.S. called for “maximum restraint” from Egypt’s military and condemned the Muslim Brotherhood’s calls for an uprising after some 50 people were shot dead at a demonstration.

The White House also said there would be no immediate cutoff in aid to Egypt following the military’s ouster of Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, Egypt’s first democratically elected leader.

“We remain deeply concerned about the increasing violence across Egypt. We strongly condemn any violence or any incitement to violence,” State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters.

She said Washington expresses “our condolences for those who have been killed” and calls on the military “to use maximum restraint.”

“Egypt’s stability and democratic political order are at stake,” she said, calling on the Muslim Brotherhood to “engage in the process” of forming a stable government.

White House spokesman Jay Carney meanwhile condemned what he said were “explicit calls to violence by the Muslim Brotherhood.”

He said Washington had not yet determined whether the military’s ouster of Morsi last week was a coup, as the Brotherhood claims, or part of a popular revolt against a failed government, as supporters insist.

The U.S. provides Egypt, a key Middle East ally, with some $1.5 billion a year in mostly military aid which could be suspended if it determines that the military has overthrown an elected government.

Carney said it would “not be in our best interests” to immediately cut off aid, adding that it would take time to consider the continuation of funding over the long term.

His remarks implied that the United States might try to use the aid to ensure the military keeps its promise of a swift handover to a civilian government.

Egypt has been plunged in crisis since millions took to the streets last week to demand the ouster of Morsi, leading to a military intervention to remove him from the presidency.

Fifty-one Morsi supporters were gunned down early Monday while demonstrating against the military’s intervention, leading the Muslim Brotherhood’s party to call for an “uprising by the great people of Egypt against those trying to steal their revolution with tanks.”

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Youtube Screenshot

On July 21, Verizon followed in DirecTV’s footsteps and announced it would not be renewing its contract with the far-right conspiracy theory network One America News. Having learned nothing from its catastrophic response to DirecTV, OAN denounced Verizon and encouraged viewers to harass and boycott the “radical Marxist corporation.” And since then, OAN has only further proved its worthlessness.

Without a major carrier, OAN remains focused on national issues like a fear of roving transgender gangs harassing conservatives, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s support for gay men who flash “their genitals to little boys and girls” (she appeared on RuPaul’s Drag Race -- a show with no children -- two years ago), and Verizon’s “censorship” of OAN.

Keep reading... Show less
Youtube Screenshot

Postcards from the great American labor shortage: A couple arrives at the Seattle airport after a five-hour flight and stands in line at the car rental desk. People are angry. At the desk sits a harassed employee explaining that he simply has no cars of any kind to rent. Nothing. Why? There aren't enough employees on hand to vacuum, wash, fuel and process the cars.

Another snapshot. A couple has been driving for several hours and requires a bathroom stop. They pull into a Burger King. The doors are locked. The only service is at the drive-thru. Why? Lack of employees.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}