The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

Police Group Wants Rams Players Disciplined For ‘Hands-Up’ Gesture; NFL Says They Won’t Be Punished

By Pete Grathoff, The Kansas City Star (TNS)

Five St. Louis Rams players took the field for Sunday’s game against the Raiders in St. Louis with their hands raised.

It was to show their support for protesters in Ferguson, Mo., and around the country who are angered that former police officer Darren Wilson was not indicted by a grand jury for the killing of Michael Brown.

“I just think there has to be a change,” tight end Jared Cook told the Associated Press. “There has to be a change that starts with the people that are most influential around the world.

“No matter what happened on that day, no matter how the whole situation went down, there has to be a change.”

The other players were Tavon Austin, Kenny Britt, Stedman Bailey and Chris Givens.

The players’ action angered the St. Louis Police Officers Association. In a news release, the Association’s business manager, Jeff Roorda, called for “the players involved to be disciplined and for the Rams and the NFL to deliver a very public apology.”

The NFL said the players would not be punished for their actions, according to USA Today.

Photo: St. Louis Rams running back Tre Mason, left, and wide receiver Kenny Britt hold their hands up as they celebrate Mason’s 35-yard touchdown reception during first quarter action on Sunday, Nov. 30, 2014, at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis. (Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/TNS)

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

This is the first of what is sure to be way too many campaign columns to come. If you’d like them to land in your email inbox every time I write one, please buy a subscription.

Keep reading...Show less

Tape of home invasion attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul Pelosi

Youtube Screenshot

Video released Friday of the harrowing home invasion and assault that nearly killed then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband in October brought little in the way of self-reflection or regret from far-right Internet trolls and Fox News stars who spent months baselessly insisting that the attack had actually resulted from a gay tryst gone wrong. Instead, the denizens of the right-wing conspiracy theory ecosystem either claimed that the new evidence proved that they were right all along, or used it to float additional conspiracy theories about why it hadn’t been released earlier.

The key facts were available within hours of the October 28, 2022, attack. Law enforcement swiftly alleged that David DePape broke into the Democratic leader’s home in the middle of the night seeking to harm her and pummeled her 82-year-old husband Paul, sending him to the hospital for emergency surgery. Journalists who reviewed DePape’s Internet history subsequently revealed that he had been radicalized online and espoused a wide array of right-wing conspiracy theories, including QAnon.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}