The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

U.S. Warns Karzai It May Leave No Troops In Afghanistan

@AFP

Washington (AFP) – U.S. National Security Advisor Susan Rice Monday told Afghan President Hamid Karzai Washington could not wait until after the 2014 Afghan elections to sign a security pact and, without a deal, may have to plan to leave no troops behind next year.

“Without a prompt signature, the U.S. would have no choice but to initiate planning for a post-2014 future in which there would be no U.S. or NATO troop presence in Afghanistan,” Rice told Karzai, according to a White House statement.

“Ambassador Rice stressed… that deferring the signature of the agreement until after next year’s elections is not viable” when she met with Karzai at the end of a three-day trip to Kabul, it added.

Washington was ready to sign the deal in the coming days after the loya jirga, or traditional assembly, urged the Afghan leader to sign the bilateral security agreement (BSA), Rice said.

But “in response, President Karzai outlined new conditions for signing the agreement and indicated he is not prepared to sign the BSA promptly,” the White House said.

Rice argued that waiting to sign the deal, which is meant to provide the legal protection for U.S. troops remaining in the country, “would not provide the United States and NATO allies the clarity necessary to plan for a potential post-2014 military presence.”

“Nor would it provide Afghans with the certainty they deserve regarding their future, in the critical months preceding elections,” Rice told Karzai as they met over dinner on the last day of her visit.

She warned too that “the lack of a signed BSA would jeopardize NATO and other nations’ pledges of assistance made at the Chicago and Tokyo conferences in 2012.”

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

This is the first of what is sure to be way too many campaign columns to come. If you’d like them to land in your email inbox every time I write one, please buy a subscription.

Keep reading...Show less

Tape of home invasion attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul Pelosi

Youtube Screenshot

Video released Friday of the harrowing home invasion and assault that nearly killed then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband in October brought little in the way of self-reflection or regret from far-right Internet trolls and Fox News stars who spent months baselessly insisting that the attack had actually resulted from a gay tryst gone wrong. Instead, the denizens of the right-wing conspiracy theory ecosystem either claimed that the new evidence proved that they were right all along, or used it to float additional conspiracy theories about why it hadn’t been released earlier.

The key facts were available within hours of the October 28, 2022, attack. Law enforcement swiftly alleged that David DePape broke into the Democratic leader’s home in the middle of the night seeking to harm her and pummeled her 82-year-old husband Paul, sending him to the hospital for emergency surgery. Journalists who reviewed DePape’s Internet history subsequently revealed that he had been radicalized online and espoused a wide array of right-wing conspiracy theories, including QAnon.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}