Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.
Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Now I’ve remarried and am back to using my real first name with my new husband’s last name. I am so worried that all of this name confusion will mess up my ability to get Social Security benefits when I turn 62 next year. What can I do?

A: You can relax. Name issues similar to yours are very common. Your situation is unique to you, of course, but the Social Security Administration deals with problems like yours every day. So it’s no big deal. You probably don’t have to do anything until you actually file for Social Security — and then, all you have to do is explain to them what you told me in your email.

But if you’re going to lose sleep over this, you can go down to your Social Security office at your leisure, bring along some proof of your current name, and fill out a simple one-page form that will change your name in official Social Security records.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2011 The National Memo