1. Texas GOP
On Wednesday, the Houston Chronicle obtained a draft copy of the new platform from this week’s “winners,” the Republican Party of Texas.
Improbably, it’s even crazier than the 2012 edition — and that one sought to ban critical thinking.
Among other provisions, the Texas GOP now supports:
- Repealing the 17th Amendment, allowing state legislatures to appoint U.S. senators
- Allowing Texas to nullify federal laws (special attention is paid to “All federal acts, laws, executive orders, and court orders which restrict or infringe on the people’s right to keep and bear arms”).
- Keeping “community organizers” out of schools, which should emphasize “the Judeo-Christian principles upon which America was founded.”
- Withdrawing from the United Nations, and removing the UN’s headquarters from U.S. soil
- Exposing the supposed-dangers of the UN’s Agenda 21 (which Texas senator Ted Cruz infamously — and falsely — claimed is a backdoor plot to abolish golf courses).
- Ignoring “any plea for money to fund global climate change or ‘climate justice’ initiatives.”
- Opposing “the use of Radio Frequency Identification Chips (RFID) on humans.”
- Immediately repealing the Hate Crimes Law, Voter Rights Act of 1965 [sic], Minimum Wage Law, the Federal Reserve Act, and — of course — Obamacare.
- Legalizing discrimination against “homosexual behavior,” and recognizing “the legitimacy and value of counseling which offers reparative therapy and treatment to patients who are seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle.”
And that just scratches the surface of the insanity within the full document.
Check out previous editions of This Week In Crazy here. Think we missed something? Let us know in the comments!
Get This Week In Crazy delivered to your inbox every Friday, by signing up for our daily email newsletter.
Copyright 2014 The National Memo