The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Taipei (AFP) – Apple has told two companies assembling its new lower-cost iPhone 5C that it is cutting orders for the fourth quarter, raising concerns over weaker-than-expected demand, a report said Wednesday.

Apple told Foxconn and Pegatron Corp. earlier this month that shipments of the iPhone 5C in the October-December period would be reduced, Dow Jones Newswires reported, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter.

Pegatron, which assembles two thirds of the iPhone 5Cs according to analysts, was told orders would be cut by less than 20 percent while Foxconn was told that orders would be cut by a third, it said.

One unidentified component supplier was also notified of a 50 percent cut in orders for the iPhone 5C parts, which analysts say could lead to a slowdown in device shipments next year, it added.

In September, Apple launched the iPhone 5S and the lower-cost 5C in the United States, China and a handful of other markets.

It reported nine million sales in the first three days, in the biggest iPhone launch in the company’s history.

But the reported reduction in assembly orders for the 5C, which is only marginally cheaper than the high-end 5S, will raise concerns about the pricing strategy.

The new devices are aimed at helping Apple reverse market share losses against smartphones using the Google Android operating system, which hold about three-quarters of the market.

Apple did not give the breakdown of sales figures for the iPhone 5S and 5C but analysts say the 5S appears to be more popular.

The Taiwanese firms declined to comment while Apple officials were not immediately available.

AFP Photo

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

John Eastman

Reprinted with permission from MediaMatters

The ABC, CBS, and NBC morning and evening news broadcasts have all ignored the revelation that one of then-President Donald Trump's lawyers authored a memo laying out how Trump could effectively pull off a coup.

John Eastman, a member of the conservative legal establishment who worked with Trump's legal team as the then-president sought to overturn the results of the 2020 election, wrote the document in the days leading up to the January 6 counting of electoral votes. His plan lays out various ways then-Vice President Mike Pence and congressional Republicans could use that

Keep reading... Show less

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

It remains to be seen whether or not President Joe Biden's $3.5 trillion "human infrastructure" plan — which includes federal funding for health care, education, child care and combating climate change — will ultimately make it to his desk to be signed into law. The $3.5 trillion price tag is drawing resistance from Republicans as well as centrist Democrats like Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona. But 17 economists, all Nobel Prize recipients, have signed a letter endorsing the plan, which members of the Biden Administration see as crucial to his Build Back Better agenda.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}