The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Ryan Parker and Javier Panzar, Los Angeles Times

A CNN journalist on the Israel-Gaza border who created controversy Thursday when she tweeted that Israelis who could be heard cheering while a presumed rocket was landing in Gaza were “scum” has been reassigned.

Diana Magnay has been moved to Moscow, a CNN spokeswoman told the Los Angeles Times in an email Friday.

After a report on Israeli troops moving into Gaza, CNN international correspondent Magnay tweeted, “Israelis on the hill above Sderot as bombs land on Gaza; threatened to ‘destroy our car if I said wrong word’. Scum”

The tweet was deleted a short time later, but people were already attacking Magnay for the comment.

During her report, Magnay described the scene from the border: “It is an astonishing, macabre and awful thing to watch this display of fire in the air.”

Later, CNN and Magnay, in a statement, apologized for the tweet.

“After being threatened and harassed before and during a live shot, Diana reacted angrily on Twitter,” a CNN spokeswoman said in an email. “She deeply regrets the language used, which was aimed directly at those who had been targeting our crew.”

After 10 days of artillery exchanges with Palestinian militants, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered ground troops into the Gaza Strip on Thursday night, escalating a conflict that has claimed more than 220 lives, all but one of them Palestinian.

Under cover of darkness, tanks rolled across the northwestern border of the coastal enclave, backed by intense shelling from the air and sea, witnesses said.

AFP Photo / Thomas Coex

Interested in national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Lara Trump

Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos

Guillermo Garcia, a soccer coach, was fundraising for his daughter's soccer team outside of an El Paso, Texas, Walmart on August 3, 2019 when a white supremacist opened fire, killing him and 22 others in what The New York Times called "the deadliest anti-Latino attack in modern American history." El Paso Police Chief Greg Allen told The Dallas Morning News that Patrick Crusius, who was 21 years old at the time, purchased a 7.62 mm caliber gun and drove some 10 hours west from Allen, Texas, to carry out the massacre.

Keep reading... Show less

Close