The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

Cuomo Pushes Back Against Report That He’s Already Conceded 2016 To Clinton

New York governor Andrew Cuomo is pushing back against a report that he has already decided not to run for president in 2016 if Hillary Clinton seeks the Democratic nomination.

On Monday, the New York Post reported that Cuomo had privately ceded the nomination to Clinton, if she chooses to pursue it.

“The governor has told people in recent weeks that there’s not a chance for him to run if Hillary gets in the race because she’ll easily wrap up the Democratic nomination,” a Cuomo administration insider told the Post.

“He knows that and he accepts that, so he won’t even be thinking at all in those terms — unless Hillary decides not to run, which seems unlikely,” the unnamed source added.

Later in the day, the popular New York governor dismissed the report as “Monday rumors.”

“Hillary Clinton is going to do whatever Hillary Clinton is going to do and I’m doing what I’m doing,” Cuomo said during an interview on public radio’s “Capitol Pressroom.”

“I’m focusing on running this state and doing it the best I can. And that’s all there is to that,” he continued.

“There is no truth to the assertion that I am talking presidential politics and strategy and what Hillary Clinton should do or shouldn’t do or what I’m doing presidentially,” Cuomo added. “The only discussions I’m having are how to help this state … and to the extent that I’m focusing on politics, it’s my [re-election campaign] next year.”

Cuomo, who spent much of his first term as governor with an approval rating above 70 percent before seeing his numbers dip in recent weeks, could potentially be one of the Democratic Party’s strongest national candidates were he to join the field. But many Democrats have speculated that Clinton would clear the Democratic field if she enters the race — even though other Democrats such as Maryland governor Martin O’Malley are already openly flirting with a 2016 run.

If Clinton does indeed run, she would almost certainly enter the race as the overwhelming favorite. Although there are almost three years to go until the first 2016 ballots are cast, as of now Clinton polls well ahead of her potential competition.

Photo: Pat Arnow via Flickr.com

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

This is the first of what is sure to be way too many campaign columns to come. If you’d like them to land in your email inbox every time I write one, please buy a subscription.

Keep reading...Show less

Tape of home invasion attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul Pelosi

Youtube Screenshot

Video released Friday of the harrowing home invasion and assault that nearly killed then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband in October brought little in the way of self-reflection or regret from far-right Internet trolls and Fox News stars who spent months baselessly insisting that the attack had actually resulted from a gay tryst gone wrong. Instead, the denizens of the right-wing conspiracy theory ecosystem either claimed that the new evidence proved that they were right all along, or used it to float additional conspiracy theories about why it hadn’t been released earlier.

The key facts were available within hours of the October 28, 2022, attack. Law enforcement swiftly alleged that David DePape broke into the Democratic leader’s home in the middle of the night seeking to harm her and pummeled her 82-year-old husband Paul, sending him to the hospital for emergency surgery. Journalists who reviewed DePape’s Internet history subsequently revealed that he had been radicalized online and espoused a wide array of right-wing conspiracy theories, including QAnon.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}