The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Kate Mather, Adolfo Flores and Richard Winton, Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES — Sheriff’s deputies who performed a welfare check on Elliot Rodger less than a month before he killed six people in Isla Vista, Calif., did not view the “disturbing” videos the 22-year-old had posted online, which Rodger said were “merely a way of expressing himself,” officials said Thursday.

Santa Barbara sheriff’s officials released new details Thursday about the April 30 welfare check, which came nearly a month before the rampage in which six victims and Rodger died and 13 others were injured.

According to a statement from the sheriff’s office, four deputies, a University of California, Santa Barbara, police officer assigned to the Isla Vista foot patrol and a dispatcher in training went to Rodger’s apartment the night of April 30, after a person who identified himself as Rodger’s friend called a county mental-health staff member.

Based on information from that caller and Rodger’s mother, sheriff’s officials said, the mental-health staff member contacted sheriff’s deputies and requested the welfare check. Officials did not elaborate what the information entailed.

Typically, only two deputies would respond to such a call, the department said. But the group that went to Rodger’s apartment included deputies who weren’t assigned to the call but were “familiar with Rodger” from a January 2014 case in which he accused his roommate of stealing candles from him.

Details of the videos were not available. The Sheriff’s Department described them as “disturbing” but do not provide details or return calls seeking comment.

Rodger posted several videos in which he threatened violence before last week’s killings. He posted one more on Friday, 10 minutes before he began shooting, officials said, long after the welfare check.

When deputies in April arrived at Rodger’s Seville Road apartment, officials said, they spoke to the 22-year-old outside.

“Deputies found Rodger to be shy, timid and polite,” officials said. “When questioned by the deputies about reported disturbing videos he had posted online, Rodger told them he was having trouble fitting in socially in Isla Vista and the videos were merely a way of expressing himself.”

“Based upon the information available to them at the time,” the statement continued, “sheriff’s deputies concluded that Rodger was not an immediate threat to himself or others, and that they did not have cause to place him on an involuntary mental health hold, or to enter and search his residence. Therefore, they did not view the videos or conduct a weapons check on Rodger.”

One of the deputies called Rodger’s mother and, after briefing her on the interaction, passed the phone to Rodger, the department said. Rodger “told her he was fine and that he would call her later.”

Deputies also gave Rodger contact information for local services, including the Sheriff’s Department, that he could use “if he needed help,” officials said.

The interaction lasted about 10 minutes, the department said.

“Based on the information reviewed thus far, the Sheriff’s Office has determined that the deputies who responded handled the call in a professional manner consistent with state law and department policy,” the statement said.

Investigators have remained tight-lipped about the rampage, citing the “most complex investigations” in the department’s history.

Authorities allege that Rodger killed three men — identified as Cheng Yuan “James” Hong, 20, George Chen, 19, and Weihan “David” Wang, 20, all students at UC Santa Barbara — inside his apartment before driving his BMW down the streets of Isla Vista on Friday night, firing out the window and veering his car toward pedestrians. Three other UC Santa Barbara students were killed: Katherine Cooper, 22; Veronika Weiss, 19; and Christopher Michaels-Martinez, 20.

About an hour after the shooting began, officials said Thursday, they learned of a 137-page document and YouTube video in which Rodger outlined what he called his “Day of Retribution.”

Gina Ferazzi/Los Angeles Times/MCT

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Donald Trump
Youtube Screenshot

Allies of former President Donald Trump have advised members of the Republican Party to cool down their inflammatory rhetoric toward the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation following the execution of a search warrant at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida on Monday.

Trump supporters, right-wing pundits, and lawmakers have been whipped into a frenzy over what Trump called a "raid" by federal agents in pursuit of classified documents removed from the White House during Trump's departure from office.

Keep reading... Show less

Former President Donald Trump

Youtube Screenshot

On August 20, 2022, Donald Trump will have been gone from the White House for 19 months. But Trump, unlike other former presidents, hasn’t disappeared from the headlines by any means — and on Monday, August 8, the most prominent topic on cable news was the FBI executing a search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home in South Florida. Countless Republicans, from Fox News hosts to Trump himself, have been furiously railing against the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). And in an article published by Politico on August 11, reporters Kyle Cheney and Meridith McGraw describe the atmosphere of “paranoia” and suspicion that has become even worse in Trumpworld since the search.

“A wave of concern and even paranoia is gripping parts of Trumpworld as federal investigators tighten their grip on the former president and his inner circle,” Cheney and McGraw explain. “In the wake of news that the FBI agents executed a court-authorized search warrant at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida, Trump’s allies and aides have begun buzzing about a host of potential explanations and worries. Among those being bandied about is that the search was a pretext to fish for other incriminating evidence, that the FBI doctored evidence to support its search warrant — and then planted some incriminating materials and recording devices at Mar-a-Lago for good measure — and even that the timing of the search was meant to be a historical echo of the day President Richard Nixon resigned in 1974.”

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}