The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Joseph Serna, Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES — A drone spotted earlier this month by a Canadian jetliner pilot near Los Angeles International Airport has become the subject of an investigation.

On Aug. 4, Los Angeles police said, the personal drone was spotted by the jetliner pilot as the remote-controlled craft was hovering about 10 miles east of LAX at 4,000 feet.

That would place it at an altitude outside Federal Aviation Administration guidelines for hobbyists’ drones and also within the airport’s Class B airspace, where aircraft need to have a transponder and two-way communication with air traffic controllers, federal officials said.

Last year, the FAA restricted drones from coming within five miles of airports.

The agency cited recent “reckless use of unmanned model aircraft near airports and involving large crowds of people” in its announcement of the policy shift, which comes as federal officials are trying to determine how to regulate private unmanned aircraft in U.S. airspace.

Los Angeles police learned of the drone when the airline pilot asked air traffic controllers if it was a police drone. The LAPD’s two drones are locked away in a federal building and have not been used.

Officials said the incident highlights concerns that better regulations are needed for the drones.

“Everyone is going to suffer because of a reckless pilot,” said LAPD Air Support Capt. Gary Walters. “You don’t expect to see one at 1,000 feet when you’re doing 130 mph going to an emergency call to the Coliseum.”

Police Department representatives are talking with FAA officials and local lawmakers about what can be done to bring existing laws up to date so they apply to drones, officials said.

AFP Photo/Saul Loeb

Interested in national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago

Reprinted with permission from AlterNet

The Securities and Exchange Commission and another federal regulatory agency are conducting investigations into Donald Trump’s new “media” company, including a planned merger “with a so-called blank-check company that raised nearly $300 million in an initial public offering in September,” The New York Times reports.

Keep reading... Show less
Vanita Gupta

Reprinted with permission from AlterNet

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland announced today that the Department of Justice is suing the State of Texas for violating the Voting Rights Act.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}