The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Carol J. Williams, Los Angeles Times

A group of 32 Turkish truck drivers kidnapped three weeks ago by Islamic militants in northern Iraq have been released and are en route home, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu told journalists in Ankara on Thursday.

There was no immediate word, however, on the fate of 49 other Turks taken hostage by the militants previously known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS, on June 11, Turkish media quoted Davutoglu as saying.

The renamed Islamic State, which announced this week that it had established a caliphate to govern the lands it seized in Iraq and Syria, also holds 46 Indian nurses who were working at a hospital in the town of Tikrit when it was taken by the radicals last week.

The Hindustan Times reported Thursday that relatives of the captive nurses said they had been told the group was being moved from Tikrit to militant-controlled territory farther north in Iraq.
The truck drivers were kidnapped June 9 while delivering diesel fuel to the city of Mosul as the militants staged a lightning strike across the north of Iraq. All of those freed were in good health except for one who might require “special treatment,” the foreign minister said.

The group was to be transported home by a Turkish Airlines jet sent to fetch them in the Kurdish city of Irbil, Davutoglu said, according to Today’s Zaman newspaper website.

Turkish media had been prohibited by court order from reporting on the hostage situation, and word of the drivers’ release set off a storm of criticism of the government.

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who this week announced his candidacy for president ahead of an Aug. 10 election, has been accused of organizing the gag order to silence critics who say the government failed to recognize the danger posed for the 120,000 Turkish citizens working and living in Iraq.

There was also broad speculation in Turkish media that the government may have paid ransoms for the drivers’ freedom. There were reports that ISIS demanded $50,000 for each of the trucks it seized more than three weeks ago.

AFP Photo/ Sabah Arar

Interested in world news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Jeff Danziger lives in New York City. He is represented by CWS Syndicate and the Washington Post Writers Group. He is the recipient of the Herblock Prize and the Thomas Nast (Landau) Prize. He served in the US Army in Vietnam and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Air Medal. He has published eleven books of cartoons and one novel. Visit him at DanzigerCartoons.

Dr. Anthony Fauci

Photo by The White House

A Maryland anti-vaxxer is facing charges for threatening National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director Anthony Fauci over email-- going as far as to warn the face of America's COVID-19 response that he would be "hunted, captured, tortured and killed," among other things-- according to court documents that were unsealed on Tuesday.

According to the affidavit filed in support of a criminal complaint, Thomas Patrick Connally, Jr. committed two violations-- threatening a federal official and sending interstate communication containing a threat to harm, both of which are felonies.

Keep reading... Show less
x

Close