According to reporting from Rolling Stone, former President Donald Trump and friends are preparing to feed conservative attorney John Eastman to the wolves.
Eastman and his “coup memo” have brought way too much heat on Trump following the House’s Jan. 6 committee hearings, outlining his role in assisting the former president’s efforts to reverse the results of the 2020 election and making the legal case for former Vice President Mike Pence to reject the certification of the Electoral College.
One of three primary sources with direct information on the topic told Rolling Stone, “It has been repeatedly communicated to the [former] president that he should not even bring up Johnny Eastman’s name because he is maybe the most radioactive person [involved in this] when it comes to … any so-called criminal exposure.”
Rolling Stone reports that Trump has decided not to defend or even talk about Eastman, has instructed his team not to discuss him, and has said privately that he “hardly” or “barely” knows him. As Trump's social media platform Truth Social shows, as much talking as he does, Eastman’s name has been almost nonexistent.
Before turning to conservative constitutional law, Eastman worked as a clerk for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.
“Johnny does not have many friends in [the upper crust of] Trumpworld left, and most people loyal to the [former] president are fine with him being left out on his own, to deal with whatever consequences he may or may not face,” a source said.
Last Thursday, during the public Congressional hearings, Eric Herschmann, a Trump White House attorney, said that following the insurrection, he told Eastman to “get a great fucking criminal defense lawyer” because “you’re going to need it.” Eastman then infamously emailed Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani to say, “I’ve decided that I should be on the pardon list if that is still in the works.”
As Rolling Stone reports, the idea of Eastman as a patsy has become a common conversation.
Last week, Mark Levin, a Fox News and radio host, said:
“How many lawyers did Trump have? He had several … And John Eastman has turned into the fall guy. … He’s a lawyer, he’s an advocate for the [former] president. Whether you agree with his legal judgment, his legal findings, or not, it’s what lawyers do.”
Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
- The Trump Coup Is Ongoing -- And 'Moderate' Republicans Enable ... ›
- Only Fox Host Who Mentioned Eastman Coup Plot Helped To ... ›
- John Eastman Trying To Conceal Trump's Direct Role In Coup Plot ... ›
- Judge says Trump "likely" committed crimes in attempt to overturn ... ›
- John Eastman and Jeffrey Bossert Clark may face consequences for ... ›
- Opinion | Leaked emails from Trump lawyer John Eastman show ... ›
- 'A roadmap for a coup': inside Trump's plot to steal the presidency ... ›
- The John Eastman Coup Memo Is Not a Joke | The New Republic ›
- “The coup attempt is ongoing”: Ex-Trump lawyer John Eastman still ... ›
- A Fox host who apparently helped mastermind John Eastman's coup ... ›
- Trump Lawyer John Eastman Used Not One But TWO Work Emails ... ›