The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Barbara Demick, Los Angeles Times

BEIJING — At least four people were reported dead after knife-wielding assailants stabbed and slashed passers-by Friday morning in Changsha, in China’s south-central Hunan province.

Witnesses described the assailants as Uighurs, a Turkic-speaking minority from northwestern China’s Xinjiang region. Militants from that region were implicated in a knifing rampage March 1 that left 33 people dead at a train station in Kunming, China.

Witnesses who posted accounts on social media sites said it was unclear whether the knifing was a premeditated attack or a dispute among vendors at the fruit and vegetable market in the Wujialing district of Changsha. Some witnesses said one of the assailants was a vendor who sold Uighur-style flatbread from a stall at the market and who got into a fight with another man.

Among the four dead was one of the assailants, while another suspect was under arrest, according to early reports by Chinese state media.

The incident took place about 10 a.m., according to reports.

The dead included an elderly vendor and a man who witnesses said was slashed and stabbed repeatedly as he lay bleeding on the ground. Photographs posted on social media sites showed a man bleeding profusely as he lay face down next to a table of winter jackets. Another showed a mustachioed man handcuffed by police.

The harrowing March 1 knife attack at a train station in Kunming left 33 dead and 130 injured. Four assailants were killed by police during the attack, and one was taken into custody. Three more were reportedly arrested days later. Chinese authorities identified the leader of the March 1 attack as Abdurehim Kurban, but it was unclear whether he was among those detained.

There have been more than 200 incidents of violence in the last 12 months in Xinjiang, which some Uighurs refer to as East Turkestan, according to Rohan Gunaratna, a terrorism expert at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.

akasped via flickr

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

REP. ZOE LOFGREN

YouTube Screenshot

On Tuesday, the House Select Committee hearing featured testimony from Cassidy Hutchinson, former Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows’ aide. It was damning. Hutchinson went on the record reiterating what she had told investigators previously, detailing the many things she saw and heard before and during January 6, 2021. Her testimony touched on Trump’s insistence that he join the riot at the Capitol, his knowledge of armed MAGA audience members, the bizarre disappearing act Meadows performed, and the fact that leading up to the “Stop the Steal” rally, Trump’s own lawyer knew that crimes were most likely being committed.

One of the more explosive moments in Hutchinson’s testimony concerned her recounting of what Trump’s former lead Secret Service agent turned political adviser Anthony Ornato told her about Donald Trump’s actions, alleging he attacked his chief security official, Robert “Bobby” Engel, when Engel would not allow him to lead the rioters at the Capitol grounds. This reportedly took place after Trump left the Stop of Steal rally on January 6, 2021.

Keep reading... Show less

Wayne Willott

YouTube Screenshot

Wayne Willott, a QAnon influencer known online as “Juan O. Savin” who is recruiting and supporting candidates for election-administration positions around the country, warned of “civil war” if people try to “move past” the 2020 presidential election.

Savin is part of a coalition led by Jim Marchant, which aims to recruit and elect secretary of state candidates who have pushed false claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}