The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By David Zucchino, Los Angeles Times

FORT BRAGG, N.C. — A military judge refused Wednesday to let prosecutors show pornographic images during opening statements in the sexual assault trial of Army Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Sinclair, the former deputy commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

The judge, Col. James L. Pohl, also ruled that prosecutors may not use Sinclair’s alleged viewing of pornography as evidence that he intended to commit certain sex acts depicted in the images.

Pohl left open the possibility that the images could be introduced later in the court-martial.

Sinclair, a decorated, 27-year combat veteran, is charged with forcing a female captain to perform oral sex, and with possessing pornography in a war zone in Afghanistan. Prosecutors argued that the five two-star generals who are on the jury panel need to view images allegedly found on Sinclair’s computers to confirm that they were indeed pornography, as charged.

Pohl ruled that showing the images to the jury risked prejudicing the case against Sinclair, 51.

The prosecution said it recovered 8,500 pornographic photos and 600 videos on four “electronic devices,” presumably laptops, in Sinclair’s possession. The general’s defense lawyers say others had access to those devices.

The lead prosecutor, Lt. Col. Robert Stelle, told the judge that Sinclair’s alleged viewing of images of aggressive or forced oral sex “demonstrate intent and motive of the accused” to perform sex acts “strangely similar to the videos.”

“It shows a motive to engage in that type of behavior,” Stelle said in requesting permission to show 125 pornographic photos and 50 videos.

Sinclair, who is married with three children, has admitted a consensual three-year affair with the 34-year-old captain, who is single. The captain has accused Sinclair of twice forcing her to perform oral sex after their relationship soured, and threatening to kill her and her family if she told anyone of the affair.

Sinclair has pleaded not guilty to charges of sexual assault, sodomy, adultery, possession of pornography and conduct unbecoming an officer. He faces the possibility of life in prison if convicted of all charges.

A defense lawyer, Ellen Brotman, told the judge: “Lots of people watch pornography. Does that mean they all have intent to commit an offense?”

Brotman said showing the images could present “a danger of spillover prejudice on other charges.” The prosecutors, she said, “are trying to inflame the prejudices of the panel.”

The material “has such high emotional shock content … that there is actually risk of a mistrial,” Brotman told the judge.

In denying prosecutors’ requests to show the images and to link viewing them to an intent to commit sexual violence, the judge also prohibited prosecutors from telling panel members in opening statements of the 8,500 pornographic photos and 600 videos.

Opening statements are expected Thursday in a case that has attracted national attention at a time of intense public and political scrutiny of the military’s handling of sexual assaults. Congress is debating whether to strip commanders of authority to bring sexual assault charges against those in their command and instead let independent prosecutors make those decisions.

AFP Photo/Mauricio Lima

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Former President Bill Clinton leaves UCI Medical Center with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

CNBC screen shot

(Reuters) - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton walked out of a Southern California hospital early Sunday morning accompanied by his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, after being admitted last week for a urological infection, live video showed.

Clinton, 75, had been in California for an event for the Clinton Foundation and was treated at the University of California Irvine Medical Center's intensive care unit after suffering from fatigue and being admitted on Tuesday.

Keep reading... Show less

Trumpist rioters rampaging in the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

The federal judge overseeing the Oath Keepers conspiracy case in the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection ordered their trial delayed this week, primarily because of the overwhelming amount of evidence still being produced in their cases. Though the delay was expected, its reasons are stark reminders that January 6 will be one of the most complex prosecutions in history and that the investigation remains very active as more evidence piles up. There are likely some very big shoes still to drop.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}