The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Paul Richter, Tribune Washington Bureau

VIENNA — Negotiators from six world powers and Iran on Friday began composing the text of a comprehensive agreement on Tehran’s nuclear program, but remained far apart on key issues as they closed out a sixth round of talks.

With one month to go to their deadline, Western and Iranian negotiators each accused the other of failing to offer realistic terms for their long-awaited deal.

Nevertheless, diplomats said they did make limited progress at the weeklong session in the Austrian capital, Vienna, and insisted they are still focused on completing the deal by the July 20 deadline.

The agreement would limit Iran’s nuclear program to prevent it from gaining a weapons capability. In exchange, the six world powers — the United States, Britain, France, Russia, China, and Germany — would lift the tough international sanctions that have crippled Iran’s economy.

Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran’s foreign minister, joked that the preliminary text has “more parentheses than words,” referring to sections that remain in dispute.

Still, he said there had been progress, because “we have started putting everything on paper … in rather black-and white form.”

Although the countries can extend the negotiating deadline under an interim deal they signed in November, July 20 “would be the best date for reaching an agreement,” he said.

Diplomats acknowledged that the two sides appear to be holding back on making their best offers until the deadline is closer, a traditional negotiating strategy.

Their next meeting is scheduled to begin July 2 and is expected to continue until the deadline.

Zarif, at a news conference with Iranian reporters, said he had been assured by President Barack Obama and other senior U.S. officials that the administration is eager to make a deal. But he said their offer didn’t suggest they were serious.

“There is a need for that stance to be further manifested,” he said.

A senior Obama administration official made a similar statement about the Iranians, saying Tehran has an opportunity to reach a deal if it demonstrates that it is serious about keeping its nuclear program peaceful.

“What is still unclear is if Iran is really ready,” said the official, who declined to be identified citing diplomatic sensitivity.

The official said there had been no discussion yet of extra time for the negotiations. That is a sensitive question because an extension of the deadline could require an adjustment to the terms of the interim deal reached in November.

Some U.S. lawmakers, fearful that the administration might strike too lenient a deal, could block such an extension, sinking the diplomatic effort.

The U.S. official suggested that if the two sides can resolve the toughest issues, they might need only a brief extension to finalize a deal.

“If we get close and need a few more days, I don’t think anybody will mind,” the official said.

Photo: Atta Kenare via AFP

Interested in world news? Sign up for our daily newsletter!

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Donald Trump
Youtube Screenshot

Allies of former President Donald Trump have advised members of the Republican Party to cool down their inflammatory rhetoric toward the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation following the execution of a search warrant at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida on Monday.

Trump supporters, right-wing pundits, and lawmakers have been whipped into a frenzy over what Trump called a "raid" by federal agents in pursuit of classified documents removed from the White House during Trump's departure from office.

Keep reading... Show less

Former President Donald Trump

Youtube Screenshot

On August 20, 2022, Donald Trump will have been gone from the White House for 19 months. But Trump, unlike other former presidents, hasn’t disappeared from the headlines by any means — and on Monday, August 8, the most prominent topic on cable news was the FBI executing a search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home in South Florida. Countless Republicans, from Fox News hosts to Trump himself, have been furiously railing against the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). And in an article published by Politico on August 11, reporters Kyle Cheney and Meridith McGraw describe the atmosphere of “paranoia” and suspicion that has become even worse in Trumpworld since the search.

“A wave of concern and even paranoia is gripping parts of Trumpworld as federal investigators tighten their grip on the former president and his inner circle,” Cheney and McGraw explain. “In the wake of news that the FBI agents executed a court-authorized search warrant at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida, Trump’s allies and aides have begun buzzing about a host of potential explanations and worries. Among those being bandied about is that the search was a pretext to fish for other incriminating evidence, that the FBI doctored evidence to support its search warrant — and then planted some incriminating materials and recording devices at Mar-a-Lago for good measure — and even that the timing of the search was meant to be a historical echo of the day President Richard Nixon resigned in 1974.”

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}