The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

The long-running battle between Obama Attorney General Eric Holder and the Republicans in congress who think a cover-up related to the “Fast and Furious” scandal — where undercover U.S. agents lost automatic weapons they had sold to Mexican cartels — could take down the administration heated up today, as the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee voted along party lines to hold Holder in contempt.

Holder had refused to cooperate with a subpeona issued by committee chairman Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), who has been trying to blow up the scandal’s profile since Republicans won back the house. The White House has pointed out that the Justice Department has cooperated with many investigations related to the scandal, and it was the previous administration that authorized the program. “The problem of gunwalking was a field-driven tactic that dated back to the previous Administration, and it was this Administration’s Attorney General who ended it. In fact, the Justice Department has spent the past fourteen months accommodating Congressional investigators, producing 7,600 pages of documents, and testifying at eleven Congressional hearings,” a White House spokesman said in an emailed statement to Politico. “Yet, Republicans insist on moving forward with an effort that Republicans and objective legal experts have noted is purely political.”

Holder is likely to survive a 23-17 party line vote at least until after the election, when it was already expected that he’d leave. The bigger news is buried in the nature of the White House’s response: They invoked executive priviliege in refusing to hand over the documents related to the scandal, basically saying that Congress had no constitutional reason to look at what happened. Democrats explained why they believed it was still OK to consider the administration transparent:

“I treat assertions of executive privilege very seriously, and I believe they should be used only sparingly,” said Representative Elijah E. Cummings of Maryland, the panel’s ranking Democrat. “In this case, it seems clear that the administration was forced into this position by the committee’s unreasonable insistence on pressing forward with contempt despite the attorney general’s good faith offer.”

It’s unclear how much further House Republicans will press, but Speaker John Boehner and Majority Leader Eric Cantor said they’d bring up Holder’s case for a floor vote next week unless he relents.

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

President Joe Biden at the Port of Baltimore

Reprinted with permission from TomDispatch

In mid-October, President Biden announced that the Port of Los Angeles would begin operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, joining the nearby Port of Long Beach, which had been doing so since September. The move followed weeks of White House negotiations with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, as well as shippers like UPS and FedEx, and major retailers like Walmart and Target.

Keep reading... Show less

Sean Hannity

Reprinted with permission from Media Matters

President Joe Biden spoke to reporters on Monday, saying that the new omicron variant of COVID-19 was “a cause for concern, not a cause for panic,” and that the public response would be done “not with shutdowns or lockdowns but with more widespread vaccinations, boosters, testing, and more.” Fox News quickly began spreading false claims that Biden was about to impose more lockdowns — in a disinformation campaign that has spread across the network’s purported “straight news” side and even to its financial news channel.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}