Republican Legislators Silent On New ‘Code Red’ UN Climate Report
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
A new report on Monday from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the United Nations group dedicated to climate science, warns that drastic and immediate effort is needed to slow climate change. Congressional Republicans are simply ignoring it.
A review of social media posts by House and Senate Republicans on Monday found zero mentions of the report or its findings. Only two lawmakers even mentioned the climate, mocking efforts to protect it.
The Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basisreport, the sixth assessment by the international body, relied on more than 14,000 studies. It reached the "unequivocal" conclusion that humans are inducing global warming and that it can "have profound consequences for the world's social, economic, and natural systems."
U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres urged immediate action to limit warming in the face of a "code red for humanity."
"If we combine forces now, we can avert climate catastrophe," he predicted. "But, as today's report makes clear, there is no time for delay and no room for excuses."
Several Democratic lawmakers seized on the report to urge the U.S. to take immediate action.
"Today's new @IPCC_CH report makes clear that acting on climate can't wait," tweeted Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer. "Democrats promised bold climate action—and we're making it a vital part of infrastructure legislation."
"Climate action is coming, because it must," agreed Hawaii Sen. Brian Schatz.
"Today's IPCC report on climate change is an urgent call to action. We must take climate action now," wrote New Mexico Rep. Melanie Stansbury, adding that in her state, "we already know this urgency—it's time to act!"
But congressional Republicans — most of whom deny the science that humans are causing climate change — said nothing.
The lone GOP mentions of the climate on Monday came from Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene and Iowa Rep. Ashley Hinson. Both mentioned it in the context of opposing Democratic proposals to address the environment.
Hinson bashed "out of control spending by the far-left" that would fund "a civilian climate corps."
Greene warned that Democratic proposals to promote electric vehicles are really just a scheme to "enslave America to China."
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Polls Show Massive Support For Biden's Trillion-Dollar Infrastructure ... ›
- GOP Furious Over Biden's Strong Polling Numbers - National Memo ›
- Stopping Climate Change Is The Ultimate Moon Shot - National Memo ›
- Republicans Fabricate Ludicrous Lie About Biden Banning Burgers ... ›
- Climate Change Will Force A New American Migration - National ... ›
- China, U.S. Agree On Need For Stronger Global Climate ... ›
- Poll: Big Majority Favors Biden Plan To Combat Climate Change ... ›
- Biden Infrastructure Plan Can Slow Climate Change: Expert ... ›
- China Rivalry: Is Cold War Still Possible In An Overheating World? - National Memo ›
- Work, Sweat, Die: The Price Of The Hottest Jobs ›
- WHITE HOUSE: This is when the GOP turned away from climate policy ›
- Climate Concerns Increase; Most Republicans Now Acknowledge ... ›
- Two-Thirds of Americans Think Government Should Do More on ... ›
- Republicans Claim Rejoining Paris Climate Accords Will Cost ... ›
- Explainer: The U.N. climate report's five futures - decoded | Reuters ›
- 5 Takeaways From the U.N. Climate Report - The New York Times ›
- 'Sobering' New UN Report Challenges Republican Climate Hawks ... ›
- The Politics of Climate Change in the United States | Pew Research ... ›
- Republicans are framing climate action as 'un-American' in the most ... ›