Reprinted with permission from DailyKos
Yesterday, in things that should in no way be news but are, Donald Trump said he would leave the White House if (when) the Electoral College votes for President-elect Joe Biden. Trump took questions from reporters late Thursday afternoon after speaking remotely to military service members.
Asked about leaving the White House, Trump said "Certainly I will, and you know that." Except nobody has known for sure just how much of a fight Trump would put up about leaving, leading to moments such as The Boston Globe consulting a hostage negotiator and an animal-control officer on tactics for getting him out peacefully, because "a nation hooked on drama does not want to see a US president dragged out the front door," only to have to turn around and say whoops, maybe people do want that. There has been nothing certain about the president leaving peacefully, because Trump himself has refused to say he would do so, right up until he said, "Certainly I will, and you know that" -- weeks after the election, and after key battleground states had certified Biden's victories.
Trump did not concede, however, saying "It's going to be a very hard thing to concede" and that, of the Electoral College finalizing Biden's win, "f they do, they've made a mistake."
Trump also said he will go to Georgia to campaign for GOP Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler in the runoff elections there.
- Trump's Supporters And The Denial Of Reality - National Memo ›
- 'Embarrassment': Biden Smacks Trump's Refusal To Concede ... ›
- It's Time To Deny Trump What He Wants Most: Your Attention ... ›
- McEnany Whines About 2016 Transition To Justify Trump's Misconduct ›
- After Admitting Biden Won, Trump Backpedals Furiously - National ... ›
- House Adopts Resolution Urging Peaceful Transition — But Five ... ›
- Shock Over Trump's Refusal To Promise 'Peaceful Transfer Of Power' ›
- Pence Finally Concedes Biden Victory In Call To Harris - National Memo ›
- What if Trump refuses to concede the election? ›
- What If Trump Refuses to Concede? - The Atlantic ›
- Donald Trump has cast doubt on a peaceful transition of power, but ... ›
- Trump's Refusal to Support a Peaceful Transfer of Power Is ... ›
- The Rules For A Peaceful Transition Of Power Between Presidents ... ›