The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Washington (AFP) – Two German artists are claiming responsibility for a stunt that baffled New Yorkers last month: two big white flags placed atop the Brooklyn bridge in place of the U.S. stars and stripes, the New York Times reported Wednesday.

Artists Mischa Leinkauf and Matthias Wermke told the Times their prank was aimed at honoring “the beauty of public space” and celebrating the iconic span designed by a German-born engineer who died in 1869 on July 22 — the day the flags appeared.

To back up their claim the German artists provided video footage apparently shot at night from atop the mighty bridge.

“This was not an anti-American statement,” Wermke, 35, told the Times.

“From our Berlin background, we were a little surprised that it got the reaction it did. We really didn’t intend to embarrass the police,” Leinkauf, 37, added.

“We saw the bridge, which was designed by a German, trained in Berlin, who came to America because it was the place to fulfill his dreams, as the most beautiful expression of a great public space,” Leinkauf said. “That beauty was what we were trying to capture.”

They staged the stunt between 3 and 5 am of July 22, lugging the white flags in backpacks as they used the climbing cables that workers and the police use to reach the towers. They did not see security cameras.

The pair made the white flags themselves using two kinds of fabric to depict the stars and stripes.

They removed the real U.S. flags respectfully, and plan to return them, they said.

AFP Photo/Spencer Platt

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Chuck Todd

Photo by U.S. National Archives (Public domain)

Reprinted with permission from Press Run

Surveying the media landscape and seeing a Beltway press corps that's constantly on the run from Republican attacks, Meet The Press moderator Chuck Todd this week urged his colleagues to stand up to the right-wing bullies, who have spent decades demonizing journalists.

Keep reading... Show less

Former President Trump takes a phone call in the Oval Office.

Photo by The White House

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Former President Donald Trump was relentless in his efforts to overturn the presidential election. Although he has adamantly insisted that his actions were not an attempt at a coup, there is reportedly evidence indicating that it was. According to The Daily Beast, details have been revealed about Trump's phone call that may have led to the attempted coup at the U.S. Capitol.

Keep reading... Show less
x

Close