The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The White House on Monday said an additional 14 nations had signed up to a list of countries supporting a “strong international response” to what it says is Syria’s use of chemical weapons.

The statement was put together at the G20 summit in Russia last week, and originally included 10 nations plus the United States.

On Monday, the White House says 14 more states, including Germany, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Morocco and Kosovo had added their names to the statement.

“The statement explicitly supports the efforts undertaken by the United States and other countries to reinforce the prohibition on the use of chemical weapons,” the White House said.

However, the document does not make any explicit mention of the use of military force, which President Barack Obama has threatened against the Assad regime.

“We call for a strong international response to this grave violation of the world’s rules and conscience that will send a clear message that this kind of atrocity can never be repeated,” the statement reads. “Those who perpetrated these crimes must be held accountable.”

Other nations revealed as signing the document on Monday were Albania, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Honduras, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Danziger Draws

Jeff Danziger lives in New York City. He is represented by CWS Syndicate and the Washington Post Writers Group. He is the recipient of the Herblock Prize and the Thomas Nast (Landau) Prize. He served in the US Army in Vietnam and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Air Medal. He has published eleven books of cartoons, a novel and a memoir. Visit him at DanzigerCartoons.

Trump's Mar-a-Lago club and estate in Palm Beach, Florida

Responding to an order from the special master, Judge Raymond Dearie, the Department of Justice last night filed a revised list of the items taken from Mar-a-Lago during a search of the premises on August 8. Judge Dearie ordered the filing in response to implications made by lawyers for Donald Trump in court and in previous court filings that the FBI had planted evidence among the documents and items taken from the Palm Beach estate.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}