The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

KABUL (AFP) – The U.S. ambassador in Kabul said Tuesday that withdrawing from Afghanistan after 2014 and leaving behind no American troops was not in the interests of either country.

“The zero choice would not be a choice that we would want,” a statement released by the embassy late Tuesday quoted ambassador James Cunningham as saying during a meeting with a number of Afghan leaders and officials.

The idea of a “zero option” — of leaving no troops behind — was mooted earlier this year by U.S. deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes.

The New York Times reported this month that tense relations with President Hamid Karzai might see Washington quicken its troop withdrawal and possibly remove its entire military presence from the country.

“We don’t think it’s in the interests of the Afghan people or of the United States,” the ambassador was quoted as saying.

On Monday, General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the U.S. joint chiefs of staff, met with Karzai, who stated that he was ready in principle to let American troops stay beyond 2014 as part of a long-term security agreement, which was suspended by the Afghans in June to protest the opening of a Taliban liaison office in Qatar.

“President Karzai said with that hope, Afghans are ready to sign a security pact with the U.S., on condition that it leads to peace and stability in the country, the strengthening of Afghan forces and a united and sovereign Afghanistan,” a palace statement quoted Karzai as saying during the meeting.

Karzai earlier suspended security talks, furious that the Taliban had styled their office in Doha as an embassy for a self-styled government in waiting.

The U.S. relationship with Karzai, while never good and often volatile, deteriorated further over stillborn peace talks with the Taliban in Doha.

Last week Karzai’s chief of staff, Karim Khorram, claimed the Taliban office was part of a plot to break up Afghanistan, orchestrated by either Pakistan or the United States

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Lara Trump

Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos

Guillermo Garcia, a soccer coach, was fundraising for his daughter's soccer team outside of an El Paso, Texas, Walmart on August 3, 2019 when a white supremacist opened fire, killing him and 22 others in what The New York Times called "the deadliest anti-Latino attack in modern American history." El Paso Police Chief Greg Allen told The Dallas Morning News that Patrick Crusius, who was 21 years old at the time, purchased a 7.62 mm caliber gun and drove some 10 hours west from Allen, Texas, to carry out the massacre.

Keep reading... Show less

Close