The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Washington (AFP) – The United States on Tuesday denied its drone strikes in Yemen and Pakistan and elsewhere infringed international law and said it did all it could to avoid civilian casualties.

The comments followed the publication of reports on the U.S. drone war by two human rights groups, and came a day before Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is expected to bring up concerns about the U.S. tactic at White House talks.

“We are reviewing these reports carefully,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said. “To the extent these reports claim that the U.S. has acted contrary to international law, we would strongly disagree. The administration has repeatedly emphasized the extraordinary care that we take to make sure counterterrorism actions are in accordance with all applicable law.”

Carney also said that by deciding to use drone aircraft against terror suspects, rather than sending in troops or using other weapons, Washington was “choosing the course of action least likely to result in the loss of innocent life.”

Earlier Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch unveiled reports detailing civilian casualties in a number of U.S. operations in Pakistan and Yemen.

Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International are jointly calling on Congress to fully investigate the cases the two organizations have documented as well as other potentially unlawful strikes, and to disclose any evidence of human rights violations to the public. Those responsible for unlawful killings should be appropriately disciplined or prosecuted.

The groups called on Obama to provide a full legal rationale for targeted killings in Yemen and elsewhere.

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Sen. Amy Klobuchar

Efforts to reform the Electoral Count Act, an 1887 law whose quirks and ambiguities became a roadmap for Donald Trump and his allies to try to subvert congressional certification of 2020’s Electoral College vote, moved a step closer in the Senate Rules Committee on Tuesday.

Keep reading... Show less

Colbert discusses latest Jan 6 finding

Image via YouTube

After the House Select Committee revealed a perplexing nine-second phone call from the White House to a rioter on January 6, 2021, many have speculated who placed the call from inside the White House. We already know the call was placed to Anton Lu, a deplorable Trump humper from Brooklyn, NY who pled guilty to one riot charge earlier this year.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}