The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Washington (AFP) — U.S. pending home sales slipped in June, the first decline after three months of gains, the National Association of Realtors said Monday.

The NAR’s pending home sales index fell 1.1 percent in June to 102.7.

The decline in the forward-looking indicator, which is based on contract signings, was modestly stronger than analysts’ consensus estimate of 0.8 percent drop.

It followed a 6.0 percent jump in May that pushed the index above 100 — considered an average level of contract activity — for the first time since last November.

“The data will keep open the debate over whether the recovery in housing is getting back on track. We believe it is, but reports are clearly still mixed,” said Jim O’Sullivan, chief U.S. economist at High Frequency Economics.

Lawrence Yun, NAR’s chief economist, said that the steadying housing market faces a number of challenges holding it back from its full sales potential.

“Activity is notably higher than earlier this year as prices have moderated and inventory levels have improved,” he said in a statement.

“However, supply shortages still exist in parts of the country, wages are flat, and tight credit conditions are deterring a higher number of potential buyers from fully taking advantage of lower interest rates.”

Still, Yun predicted a “slight uptick” in sales during the second half of the year as the supply of houses on the market grows, putting a damper on price increases.

For 2014, he projected existing-home sales, which account for most of the US market, will fall 2.8 percent to 4.95 million, from 5.1 million in 2013.

NAR predicts US existing-home prices will increase by 5-6 percent this year and in 2015.

AFP Photo/Justin Sullivan

Interested in national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

John Eastman

Reprinted with permission from MediaMatters

The ABC, CBS, and NBC morning and evening news broadcasts have all ignored the revelation that one of then-President Donald Trump's lawyers authored a memo laying out how Trump could effectively pull off a coup.

John Eastman, a member of the conservative legal establishment who worked with Trump's legal team as the then-president sought to overturn the results of the 2020 election, wrote the document in the days leading up to the January 6 counting of electoral votes. His plan lays out various ways then-Vice President Mike Pence and congressional Republicans could use that

Keep reading... Show less

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

It remains to be seen whether or not President Joe Biden's $3.5 trillion "human infrastructure" plan — which includes federal funding for health care, education, child care and combating climate change — will ultimately make it to his desk to be signed into law. The $3.5 trillion price tag is drawing resistance from Republicans as well as centrist Democrats like Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Sen. Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona. But 17 economists, all Nobel Prize recipients, have signed a letter endorsing the plan, which members of the Biden Administration see as crucial to his Build Back Better agenda.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}