The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Dan Freed

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Wells Fargo & Co’s veteran chairman and chief executive officer, John Stumpf, is leaving the bank in the wake of a sales scandal and will be replaced as CEO by President and Chief Operating Officer Tim Sloan.

The San Francisco-based bank said on Wednesday that Stumpf was retiring with immediate effect. It is splitting the role of chairman and CEO with Stephen Sanger, its lead director, becoming chairman. Elizabeth Duke, an independent director, will be vice chair.

The changes come weeks after pressure on the bank when it emerged that its employees had potentially opened two million unauthorized deposit and credit card accounts to meet sales targets. Wells Fargo agreed to a $185 million settlement with regulators.

The scandal marked a stunning reversal of fortune for Stumpf, who had built Wells Fargo into the world’s most valuable bank with a focus on Main Street-style lending that was the envy of Wall Street.

Politicians were calling on him to resign and a week after a roasting in front of a Senate committee, where Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) confronted him, Stumpf agreed to forgo $41 million in unvested stock awards.

However, that was not enough and at a second hearing, some lawmakers called for the bank to be broken up.

“I have decided it is best for the company that I step aside,” Stumpf said in a statement.

The bank’s shares rose 2 percent in after-hours trading.

On Monday, the bank had reshuffled its top management to give more responsibility to Sloan.

Wells Fargo is due to report third-quarter earnings on Friday.

(Editing by Bernard Orr)

IMAGE: Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf testifies before the House Financial Services Committee on Capitol Hill  in Washington, DC, U.S. September 29, 2016. REUTERS/Gary Cameron

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

REP. ZOE LOFGREN

YouTube Screenshot

On Tuesday, the House Select Committee hearing featured testimony from Cassidy Hutchinson, former Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows’ aide. It was damning. Hutchinson went on the record reiterating what she had told investigators previously, detailing the many things she saw and heard before and during January 6, 2021. Her testimony touched on Trump’s insistence that he join the riot at the Capitol, his knowledge of armed MAGA audience members, the bizarre disappearing act Meadows performed, and the fact that leading up to the “Stop the Steal” rally, Trump’s own lawyer knew that crimes were most likely being committed.

One of the more explosive moments in Hutchinson’s testimony concerned her recounting of what Trump’s former lead Secret Service agent turned political adviser Anthony Ornato told her about Donald Trump’s actions, alleging he attacked his chief security official, Robert “Bobby” Engel, when Engel would not allow him to lead the rioters at the Capitol grounds. This reportedly took place after Trump left the Stop of Steal rally on January 6, 2021.

Keep reading... Show less

Wayne Willott

YouTube Screenshot

Wayne Willott, a QAnon influencer known online as “Juan O. Savin” who is recruiting and supporting candidates for election-administration positions around the country, warned of “civil war” if people try to “move past” the 2020 presidential election.

Savin is part of a coalition led by Jim Marchant, which aims to recruit and elect secretary of state candidates who have pushed false claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}