The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Defenders of President Donald Trump pushing back against the drive for impeachment have clung to a desperate talking point as they try to deflect from the growing Ukraine scandal: the whistleblower complaint that has drawn so much attention to the issue, they say, is based on second-hand information and is not credible.

The problem with that line is that the whistleblower complaint keeps getting confirmed — by the White House itself. On Friday, it admitted to another damning detail in the complaint — that White House staff used a highly secure storage system to conceal the records of Trump’s call with the Ukrainian president, since released under public pressure, which clearly showed up him pressuring the foreign leader to investigate Joe Biden, a potential 2020 election opponent.

“The White House is acknowledging for the first time that that transcript of the president’s call with the president of Ukraine was moved from where these transcripts are typically stored to a different server, a server that’s typically for information that’s national-security sensitive, for very sensitive information, not typically for the readouts of the president’s calls with heads of state,” said Kaitlan Collins of CNN, which first broke the story. “This is one of the more explosive claims in that whistleblower’s complaint.”

It’s explosive for at least two reasons. First, it shows that the White House, and possibly the president himself, knew immediately that the call was improper — demonstrating “consciousness of guilt,” if you will. Second, it could constitute another abuse entirely — misusing the administration’s record-keeping apparatus to conceal embarrassing and damning information about the president.

Further, it bolsters the allegation’s general credibility, which has already been substantially confirmed. The complaint accurately detailed both the July 25 call with Ukraine before it has been made public, and it also revealed that the White House had been withholding aid to the country in an apparent effort to further place pressure on its president before this was publicly known, which the president has since admitted.

CNN reported:

In a statement provided to CNN, a senior White House official said the move to place the transcript in the system came at the direction of National Security Council attorneys.

“NSC lawyers directed that the classified document be handled appropriately,” the senior White House official said.

White House officials say the transcript was already classified so it did nothing wrong by moving it to another system.

But Washington Post national security reporter Shane Harris argued that this claim from the White House was highly misleading.

“That system is NOT intended for calls like this,” he said in a tweet. “That system contains information that is so highly-classified and restricted that even having the highest-level clearances doesn’t automatically get you access. This is a compartmented system, and access is particularized and restricted.”

He added: “Information about covert operations, for instance, can be stored on this system. Experts I’ve spoken to see no credible national security purpose that required or justified the Trump/Zelensky transcript, at least as we’ve seen it, being placed there.”

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Former President Bill Clinton leaves UCI Medical Center with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

CNBC screen shot

(Reuters) - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton walked out of a Southern California hospital early Sunday morning accompanied by his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, after being admitted last week for a urological infection, live video showed.

Clinton, 75, had been in California for an event for the Clinton Foundation and was treated at the University of California Irvine Medical Center's intensive care unit after suffering from fatigue and being admitted on Tuesday.

Keep reading... Show less

Trumpist rioters rampaging in the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

The federal judge overseeing the Oath Keepers conspiracy case in the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection ordered their trial delayed this week, primarily because of the overwhelming amount of evidence still being produced in their cases. Though the delay was expected, its reasons are stark reminders that January 6 will be one of the most complex prosecutions in history and that the investigation remains very active as more evidence piles up. There are likely some very big shoes still to drop.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}