The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Jerry Hirsch, Los Angeles Times

Chrysler Group is recalling about 895,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango sport-utility vehicles because of a wiring problem that could start a fire.

The automaker said if one of these vehicles needs a repair that includes servicing the vanity mirror and/or headliner, the wiring — located inside the sun visor — may be subject to short-circuit and fire if not appropriately reassembled by the dealer. The headliner is the upholstered roof on the interior of the vehicles.

But the problem has not been reported in vehicles that have not had the headliner or vanity mirror serviced.

Chrysler said it knows of three injuries linked to the problem.

The recall campaign includes 2011-14 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango models. An estimated 651,000 vehicles are in the U.S.; 45,700 are in Canada; 23,000 are in Mexico; and 175,000 are outside of North America.

Dealers will install a spacer containing a guide that will keep the lines properly routed, preventing a potential short-circuit during reassembly. The automaker said it will do the work on all of the recalled vehicles, regardless of whether the vanity mirror and/or headliner has been serviced.

This recall brings the number of vehicles called back by automakers in the U.S. to about 40 million so far this year, surpassing the previous high of 30.8 million set in 2004.

General Motors, which has had problems with ignition switches in a wide selection of its vehicles, accounts for about 26 million of the recalled autos. But there also have been large recalls by Toyota, Ford, Honda, and others.

AFP Photo/Geoff Robins

Interested in national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Jeff Danziger lives in New York City. He is represented by CWS Syndicate and the Washington Post Writers Group. He is the recipient of the Herblock Prize and the Thomas Nast (Landau) Prize. He served in the US Army in Vietnam and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Air Medal. He has published eleven books of cartoons, a novel and a memoir. Visit him at DanzigerCartoons.

Donald Trump

Youtube Screenshot

The baseless claim that the FBI may have planted evidence while carrying out a court-approved search of Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence on Monday has surged through right-wing media, as the former president’s allies continue their effort to turn their audiences against the probe and shield Trump from accountability.

The FBI searched the premises after obtaining a warrant from a federal magistrate judge and “removed a number of boxes of documents” as part of a federal investigation into whether Trump had illegally “taken a trove of material with him to his home at Mar-a-Lago when he left the White House that included sensitive documents – and then, in the Justice Department’s view, had failed to fully comply with requests that he return the disputed material,” the New York Times reported. Politico concluded after consulting with legal experts on the handling of classified documents that “it’s highly unlikely the DOJ would have pursued – and a judge would have granted – such a politically explosive search warrant without extraordinary evidence.”

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}