The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Joseph Serna, Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES — A wildfire in Yosemite National Park that prompted authorities to airlift hikers out of harm’s way has tripled in size, growing to nearly 2,600 acres as of Monday morning.

Several water-dropping helicopters and airplanes were assisting hundreds of firefighters on the ground as the Meadow fire burns near Half Dome peak and Merced Lake, said park ranger Scott Gediman.

There was no estimate of how contained the fire was.

The Meadow fire, believed to have been started by one of hundreds of lightning strikes last month, had been smoldering for 49 days at just under 20 acres.

Park officials had been letting it burn to restore the area’s natural fire patterns, and given its high elevation (8,000 feet) and slow pace, there was no threat to public safety, officials said.

But when winds pushed the flames into bone-dry brush near hiking trails on Sunday, the fire exploded and ended up cutting off dozens of mountain climbers and hikers from park exits. Some 40 Half Dome hikers had to be evacuated and others were airlifted out, officials said.

East of the park in Mariposa County, fire crews gained the upper hand on the Bridge fire, which has burned about 300 acres and was 70 percent contained. At least 700 homes remained threatened by the fire, but officials have lifted evacuation orders for homeowners, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

And in Siskiyou County in Northern California, the Happy Camp Complex fire has grown to 99,200 acres as it pushes west. The wildfire, currently the biggest in California, was 30 percent contained.

AFP Photo/Mladen Antonov

Interested in national news? Sign up for our daily email newsletter!

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

President Joe Biden at the Port of Baltimore

Reprinted with permission from TomDispatch

In mid-October, President Biden announced that the Port of Los Angeles would begin operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week, joining the nearby Port of Long Beach, which had been doing so since September. The move followed weeks of White House negotiations with the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, as well as shippers like UPS and FedEx, and major retailers like Walmart and Target.

Keep reading... Show less

Sean Hannity

Reprinted with permission from Media Matters

President Joe Biden spoke to reporters on Monday, saying that the new omicron variant of COVID-19 was “a cause for concern, not a cause for panic,” and that the public response would be done “not with shutdowns or lockdowns but with more widespread vaccinations, boosters, testing, and more.” Fox News quickly began spreading false claims that Biden was about to impose more lockdowns — in a disinformation campaign that has spread across the network’s purported “straight news” side and even to its financial news channel.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}