Alabama Governor Robert Bentley signed a bill into law today that bans illegal immigrants from seeking work, attending college, and renting property, among other essential activities. The draconian measure helps solidify the Deep South’s status as immigration battleground second only–if at all–to the West. [Los Angeles Times]
Start your day with National Memo Newsletter
The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning
Reprinted with permission from Alternet
Maricopa County Sheriff Paul Penzone slammed the "Senate Republican Caucus' audit of the Maricopa County votes" for "[jeopardizing] the entire mission of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office," the Arizona Republic reported Friday.
"The Senate Republican Caucus' audit of the Maricopa County votes from last November's election has no stopping point," Penzone said in a statement. "Now, its most recent demands jeopardize the entire mission of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office."
Penzone's criticism comes after Maricopa County failed to provide "certain routers that the state Senate sought in its original subpoenas" of 2020 election material. According to the Arizona Republic, "the county has provided all 2.1 million voter general election ballots, voter information and election equipment in response to state Senate subpoenas," but is warning of a "significant security risk to Sheriff's Office law enforcement data" if the routers are released.
Ken Bennett, who is serving "as a liaison between the Senate and the private contractors overseeing the audit," said auditors wants access to the routers because of "people that have always suspected something nefarious about elections being connected to the internet."
The Senate is also demanding "passwords to the county's ballot tabulators used on Election Day at voting centers." Bennett said auditors need the passwords so they have have "administrative access to voting machines," according to the Arizona Republic.
But County Attorney Allister Adel, in a letter to Bennett, said no such passwords exist. "The county has provided every password, user name and security key in its custody or control, as commanded by the Senate's subpoenas, and does not have any others," Adel told Bennett.
As for the routers, Sheriff Penzone in his statement said "access to this information would adversely affect the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office ability to protect critical evidence, data shared between law enforcement agencies, protected private information and individual passwords, all of which could be used to the detriment of citizens and law enforcement infrastructure."
Such a move "puts sensitive, confidential data belonging to Maricopa County's citizens — including social security numbers and protected health information — at risk as well," Adel wrote in that letter to Bennett.
Republican Supervisors Chairman Jack Sellers likewise said releasing the routers would "cripple County operations and cost as much as $6 million."
Penzone also suggested the Senate is misrepresenting tropes of "transparency and accountability" in an effort to secure the routers.
Per the Arizona Republic:
The sheriff said transparency and accountability are democracy's foundation. "But when these words are misrepresented, it defies the fragile balance that exists between freedom and order and all that we believe in."
- GOP Wants To Expand Arizona 'Audit,' But DOJ May Shut It Down ... ›
- Arizona GOP Hires Conspiracy Theorist To Conduct Third 2020 ... ›
- Outfit Running Arizona 'Election Audit' Insists On Secrecy, Rejects ... ›
- Arizona 'Audit' Bolsters 2020 Lies -- And GOP's Growing Insurrection ... ›
- What? Arizona 'Audit' Observers Required To Sign Non-Disclosure ... ›
- Arizona GOP Won't Quit Recounting 2020 Ballots Until Trump 'Wins ... ›
- Arizona Legislators Still Pursuing Giuliani's 2020 Fraud Fantasy ... ›
- Security lapses plague Arizona Senate's election audit at State ... ›
- Senate President responds to D.O.J. concerns on Maricopa County ... ›
- Sheriff warns Maricopa County election audit demands 'jeopardize ... ›
- Opinion: Arizona's dangerous vote audit includes a hunt for bamboo ... ›
- Fight to vote: Arizona county's 'ludicrous' election audit - The Guardian ›
- The Unfolding Disaster in Arizona - The Atlantic ›
- Arizona's bizarre, haphazard, and partisan “audit” of the 2020 ... ›
- The Arizona election audit: What to know about the GOP's efforts in ... ›
- Maricopa Co. Sheriff says Arizona election audit risks law enforcement ›