The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

By Mitchell Prothero, McClatchy Foreign Staff

IRBIL, Iraq — The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria apparently expanded its operations to Lebanon on Friday, narrowly failing to assassinate a top Shiite Muslim security official with a suicide car bomb just hours after a series of government raids captured at least 20 suspected militants described as being members of ISIS in a central Beirut hotel.

Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim, the director of the powerful General Security Directorate, had passed a checkpoint in the Beqaa Valley on the highway linking Beirut and Damascus on Friday morning when a suicide car bomb exploded, killing at least two people and wounding dozens, but left his convoy unscathed.

Lebanon went on high alert last week after ISIS, which has been occasionally fighting the Lebanon-based Shiite radical group Hezbollah in Syria, took over a large swath of northern Iraq as part of its declared goal to turn the entire Levant region, which includes Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and Jordan, into an Islamic caliphate. ISIS presently controls much of eastern Syria and western and northern Iraq, and has been pressing a conventional military offensive backed by disenfranchised Sunni tribes on Baghdad.

In Iraq, the nation’s top Shiite cleric during a sermon on Friday urged Iraqis to unite to expel militants from the country and called for the formation of a new government.

Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani said a new government would help avoid “past mistakes,” a thinly veiled critique of Nouri al-Maliki, a Shiite politician who has served as Iraq’s prime minister since 2006.

The cleric described ISIS as a “plague” on the region.

Friday’s deadly car bombing came just hours after a series of raids by Lebanese security forces on a central Beirut hotel led to the arrest of 22 people and saw armed men chasing suspects through the streets of one of the capital’s most cosmopolitan central districts. Earlier, the government announced that it had uncovered a plot to assassinate both Ibrahim and Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, both prominent Shiite Muslim political figures and close allies of Hezbollah.

It was not precisely clear if the attack was directly aimed at Ibrahim in that spot, as some local security officials claimed, but he had been named a target by ISIS in the past because of his high-profile involvement in both cracking down on Syrian rebels along the Lebanese border as well as in negotiating the release of Lebanese hostages held in Syria.

Maj. Gen. Ibrahim Basbous of the Internal Security Forces told reporters on the scene that it seemed the car was meant to explode in Beirut and might have doubled back to hit Ibrahim’s convoy in an incredible coincidence.

“The car was headed from the Beqaa to Beirut. ISF patrols chased it, compelling its driver to return to the Beqaa,” Basbous said, according to local media reports.

Lebanon had been the victim of a dozen suicide bombings spanning from last summer until February by groups including al-Qaida and ISIS in revenge for Hezbollah’s strong support for the Syrian regime, a move that angered large swaths of Lebanon’s Sunni population, which mostly has supported the rebels.

A series of arrests and military operations by both the government inside Lebanon and by Hezbollah along the Syrian-Lebanese border appeared to end the attacks. But fear that ISIS would reconstitute a militant network appeared to come true on Friday.

“This is why we’re fighting in Syria,” a Hezbollah commander said by instant messaging from Beirut; he asked to speak anonymously because the group does not allow members to speak to the press. “These Takfiris have shown they want to take over the entire region and have an agenda to fight Iran and destroy the Shiite government in Iraq. We know they will come for Lebanon again and are ready to fight them every day.”

Prothero is a McClatchy special correspondent.

Photo via WikiCommons

Interested in world news? Sign up for our daily newsletter!

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Donald Trump
Youtube Screenshot

Allies of former President Donald Trump have advised members of the Republican Party to cool down their inflammatory rhetoric toward the United States Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation following the execution of a search warrant at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida on Monday.

Trump supporters, right-wing pundits, and lawmakers have been whipped into a frenzy over what Trump called a "raid" by federal agents in pursuit of classified documents removed from the White House during Trump's departure from office.

Keep reading... Show less

Former President Donald Trump

Youtube Screenshot

On August 20, 2022, Donald Trump will have been gone from the White House for 19 months. But Trump, unlike other former presidents, hasn’t disappeared from the headlines by any means — and on Monday, August 8, the most prominent topic on cable news was the FBI executing a search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home in South Florida. Countless Republicans, from Fox News hosts to Trump himself, have been furiously railing against the FBI and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). And in an article published by Politico on August 11, reporters Kyle Cheney and Meridith McGraw describe the atmosphere of “paranoia” and suspicion that has become even worse in Trumpworld since the search.

“A wave of concern and even paranoia is gripping parts of Trumpworld as federal investigators tighten their grip on the former president and his inner circle,” Cheney and McGraw explain. “In the wake of news that the FBI agents executed a court-authorized search warrant at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida, Trump’s allies and aides have begun buzzing about a host of potential explanations and worries. Among those being bandied about is that the search was a pretext to fish for other incriminating evidence, that the FBI doctored evidence to support its search warrant — and then planted some incriminating materials and recording devices at Mar-a-Lago for good measure — and even that the timing of the search was meant to be a historical echo of the day President Richard Nixon resigned in 1974.”

Keep reading... Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}