The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019

Bevin Concedes To Beshear After Kentucky Election Review

Republican Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin finally conceded to Democrat Andy Beshear during a Thursday afternoon press conference, more than one week after the Nov. 5 election.

“We’re going to have a change in the governorship based on the vote of the people,” Bevin said in a press conference.

“I truly wish the attorney general well,” he added.

Last week, Kentucky voters elected Beshear to be the next governor by a roughly 5,000 vote margin. As allowed under Kentucky law, Bevin, who served just one term as the state’s governor, requested a recanvas, a process to ensure all votes were properly reported.

In his press conference Thursday, Bevin admitted that the recanvas, which was set to be completed Thursday afternoon, would not alter the outcome of the election.

“I’m not going to contest these numbers that have come in,” he said.

The concession comes after a week of turmoil during which some Republicans in the state threatened to overturn the will of voters in order to deny Beshear a victory.

Republican state Senate President Robert Stivers suggested to the media that the GOP-controlled legislature could install Bevin as governor for another four years if Bevin decided to contest the election results. Under Kentucky law, a contested gubernatorial election is decided by the state legislature.

“There’s less than one-half of 1 percent, as I understand, separating the governor and the attorney general,” Stivers said at the time. “We will follow the letter of the law and what various processes determine.”

Stivers also suggested “most of the votes that went to Libertarian John Hicks, who received about two percent of the total vote, would have gone to Bevin and made him the clear winner,” according to the Courier-Journal.

Stivers received considerable opposition to that proposal, including phones calls demanding that he not overturn the election results and opposition from other Republicans.

Beshear ran on a platform heavily focused on education and health care. He vowed to fully fund every public school, and his running mate, Jacqueline Coleman, was a teacher.

Beshear also plans to rescind work requirements for those covered by Medicaid, a move he says will save health care coverage for 95,000 Kentuckians.

Donald Trump held a rally for Bevin on the eve of the election, but was unable to sway enough voters in a state Trump carried by 30 points in 2016.

Beshear will officially become governor on Dec. 10.

Published with permission of The American Independent.

Photo Credit: Gage Skidmore

Advertising

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Mohammed bin Salman, left, and Donald Trump

Youtube Screenshot

It’s not often that an article in Golfweek sets the tone for the actual week, but on Saturday the premier journal of hitting small balls with sticks noted continuing problems for the nascent LIV Golf tour. The schedule of tournaments isn’t full. The roster of big name players that LIV needs to make itself seem a legit competitor to the 93-year-old PGA Tour have failed to materialize. The team-based structure of LIV has failed to create the kind of rivalries that the creators suggested would help raise interest in the new offering.

However, all those concerns could turn out to be minor. That’s because a court case in California, where LIV has filed an antitrust suit against the PGA, has gone in a direction that LIV definitely, definitely did not want. While fighting back against this suit, the PGA has sought to compel discovery about the real sources behind the fund picking up the ticket on LIV’s considerable expenses. As it happens, a slip of the tongue from a LIV attorney during the trial revealed that the fund owns 93% of LIV Golf and covers all of its expenses.

Keep reading...Show less
Solomon Pena
Youtube Screenshot

Fox News has almost completely neglected to cover breaking news developments in a series of shootings that targeted the homes of multiple Democratic officials in New Mexico, neglecting a story that would potentially call further attention to the network’s own promotion of conspiracy theories about voter fraud.

On Monday, an Albuquerque SWAT team arrested Solomon Pena, naming him as the suspected “mastermind” behind a series of drive-by shootings at the homes of four local Democratic elected officials, including two county commissioners as well as the incoming speaker of the state House. Nobody was injured in the shootings, but in one instance bullets went through the bedroom of a 10-year-old girl while she was asleep.

Keep reading...Show less
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}