Biden’s Popular Infrastructure Bill Passes Senate Over GOP Opposition
Reprinted with permission from American Independent
The Senate passed a bipartisan bill on Tuesday to invest $550 billion in infrastructure. But most Republican senators voted against it.
The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act passed 69-30. All of the no votes came from Republicans.
The package will provide a historic investment in transportation, water systems, broadband, and electrical grid infrastructure.
In March, President Joe Biden proposed a $2.25 trillion American Jobs Plan, which included these and other infrastructure investments.
After months of negotiations, a group of 21 senators from both parties agreed in June on a framework for a bipartisan plan. Days later, Biden signed on.
Polls have shown the public strongly in support of the legislation. Large majorities of Democratic and independent voters backed the plan, as did a plurality of Republicans.
But one key Republican opposed it: former President Donald Trump.
Trump promised as a candidate in 2016 to invest in infrastructure and "build the next generation of roads, bridges, railways, tunnels, sea ports, and airports." Like many of his other pledges, he did not follow through— blowing up bipartisan negotiations to punish congressional Democrats for pursuing oversight of his administration.
On July 26, Trump warned Senate Republicans not to give "the Radical Left Democrats a big and beautiful win on Infrastructure" by passing the bipartisan package.
Two days later, he threatened that if the Senate GOP gives "a victory for the Biden Administration and Democrats," he and his followers will "never forget" and "lots of primaries will be coming your way!"
After those warnings, two of the Republicans who helped negotiated the deal flip-flopped and came out against it: Indiana Sen. Todd Young and South Dakota Sen. Mike Rounds. Rounds missed the vote for family reasons.
The bill now moves to the House of Representatives.
Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.
- Poll Shows Biden's $3.5 Trillion Investment Plan Even More Popular ... ›
- Really? Senate Republicans Credit Trump For Infrastructure Bill He ... ›
- Voters Overwhelmingly Support Biden Infrastructure Plan As GOP ... ›
- Infrastructure Deal Hinges On Additional Climate And Social ... ›
- GOP Senate Campaign Chair Blasts 17 Colleagues Who Support ... ›
- Poll: Big Majority Supports Biden Spending Plans, Bipartisan Or Not ... ›
- Republican Civil War Erupts Over Infrastructure Vote - National Memo ›
- Biden celebrates a bipartisan win after Senate passes massive ... ›
- Senate Passes $1 Trillion Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill : NPR ›
- Senate set to pass bipartisan infrastructure bill Tuesday | TheHill ›
- Senate passes infrastructure bill, putting Biden step closer to major ... ›
- US Senate poised to pass bipartisan $1 trln infrastructure bill | Reuters ›
- Democrats release budget resolution as Senate works on ... ›
- Infrastructure bill vote: Live updates from the Senate ›