The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

MUMBAI (AFP) – Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan has announced the arrival of his new baby boy born to a surrogate mother, and denied rumours of an illegal pre-natal gender test.

In a statement released late Tuesday, Khan said he and his wife Gauri had kept quiet on the matter owing to their “emotional strife” after the child, named AbRam, was born several months premature.

“Just to put the record straight there was no sex determination for our child,” said Khan, 47, adding that the baby was born before such suspicions arose in the media.

Mumbai officials said last week they had received confirmation from a city hospital that a baby boy was born on May 27 to the Khans.

Rumours surfaced in June that the Khans were expecting a boy, raising speculation they had carried out a sex test.

Such a test is illegal in India, to try to prevent parents aborting female foetuses.

On seeing the reports, the Indian Radiological and Imaging Association wrote to health officials demanding an investigation.

Khan, one of Bollywood’s biggest crowd-pullers, already has two teenage children, a girl and a boy.

The star of “Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge” (“The Braveheart will get the Bride”) and “My Name Is Khan” confirmed his new child was born by surrogacy, an arrangement in which a woman carries the child of another couple.

“The entire process is bound by strict confidentiality. We would appeal to all, to allow us to cherish this private moment as a family,” Khan said.

Back in 2011 fellow Bollywood megastar Aamir Khan and his wife also had a baby boy using a surrogate mother.

Shah Rukh Khan topped the first Forbes India Celebrity 100 list earlier this year with annual estimated earnings of $37.7 million.

Photo Credit: AFP

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Former President Bill Clinton leaves UCI Medical Center with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton

CNBC screen shot

(Reuters) - Former U.S. President Bill Clinton walked out of a Southern California hospital early Sunday morning accompanied by his wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, after being admitted last week for a urological infection, live video showed.

Clinton, 75, had been in California for an event for the Clinton Foundation and was treated at the University of California Irvine Medical Center's intensive care unit after suffering from fatigue and being admitted on Tuesday.

Keep reading... Show less

Trumpist rioters rampaging in the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021

Reprinted with permission from DailyKos

The federal judge overseeing the Oath Keepers conspiracy case in the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection ordered their trial delayed this week, primarily because of the overwhelming amount of evidence still being produced in their cases. Though the delay was expected, its reasons are stark reminders that January 6 will be one of the most complex prosecutions in history and that the investigation remains very active as more evidence piles up. There are likely some very big shoes still to drop.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}