The National  Memo Logo

Smart. Sharp. Funny. Fearless.

Monday, December 09, 2019 {{ new Date().getDay() }}

New York (AFP) – Probable White House candidate Hillary Clinton admitted Tuesday that she made a mistake in choosing for convenience not to use an official email account when she was secretary of state.

But, in remarks to reporters after attending a United Nations event, she insisted that her email set-up had been properly secure and that she had turned over all professional communications to the State Department.

“Looking back, it would have been better for me to use two separate phones and two email accounts,” Clinton said, amid a political uproar over her decision to operate a personal email server.

The former top diplomat and first lady, the presumptive frontrunner for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 2016, has been accused of trying to improperly keep her emails out of the public domain.

“I opted for convenience to use my personal email account, which was allowed by the State Department, because I thought it would be easier to carry just one device for my work and for my personal emails instead of two,” she said.

After she left office, she said, “we went through a thorough process to identify all of my work-related emails and deliver them to the State Department.”

She welcomed the news that the State Department has begun the process of declassifying around 30,000 professional emails that she had handed over to them.

But she admitted that another approximately 30,000 personal emails had now been deleted — a fact that will likely be seized on by her critics.

“About half were personal that were not in any way related to my work. I had no reason to save them,” she said.

“The server will remain private, and I think that the State Department will be able over time to release all of the records that were provided.”

This story has been updated.

Photo: Then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton checks her phone in Busan, Korea on November 30, 2011 (AFP/Saul Loeb)

Start your day with National Memo Newsletter

Know first.

The opinions that matter. Delivered to your inbox every morning

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the MAGA movement and far-right Christian fundamentalists have downplayed its severity — inspiring critics to slam MAGA as a suicidal "death cult." Christian fundamentalist Joy Pullmann, in a shocking op-ed published by the far-right website The Federalist on the day of Gen. Colin Powell's death, argues that Christians should welcome death from COVID-19, like any other cause of death, as "a good thing." And she attacks the "pagan assumptions" of those who argue in favor of widespread vaccination.

"For Christians, death is good," Pullmann writes. "Yes, death is also an evil — its existence is a result of sin. But thanks be to God, Jesus Christ has redeemed even death. In his resurrection, Christ has transformed death into a portal to eternal life for Christians…. The Christian faith makes it very clear that death, while sad to those left behind and a tragic consequence of human sin, is now good for all who believe in Christ."

Keep reading... Show less

Reprinted with permission from Alternet

Don Winslow, the author of several New York Times bestsellers, blasted Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) in a newly-released video shared on social media.

For months now, Manchin has positioned himself as one of the main roadblocks of President Joe Biden's proposed Build Back Better agenda, pushing back on key provisions including child tax credits and climate initiatives.

Keep reading... Show less
x
{{ post.roar_specific_data.api_data.analytics }}