Reprinted with permission from Daily Kos
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' crusade against masking and other pandemic mitigation efforts isn't playing well for him among Floridians, according to a new poll from Quinnipiac University.
The fact that 60 percent of Floridians support in-school masking, according to the poll, is nothing short of an indictment of DeSantis' failing leadership as his state suffers its most deadly period in the pandemic.
- By 61 percent to 33 percent, Floridians say the recent spike in COVID-19 cases was preventable
- 73 percent of Floridians currently view the surge as a serious problem
- 59 percent say the pandemic's spread is out of control in the state
The public also broadly disagrees with the policies DeSantis has been pushing for months—policies that endanger their lives, including those of their children.
- 68 percent say local officials should be able to require masks in indoor public spaces
- 69 percent say it's a bad idea to withhold pay for school officials who vote to require masking (which the DeSantis administration is currently in the process of doing), while just 25 percent support it
- 59 percent support requiring everyone to wear masks while in indoor public spaces
- 63 percent say masking is primarily a public health issue, with just 33 percent saying it's more about personal freedom
- 62 percent say health care workers should be required to get vaccinated, just 33 percent oppose it
- 60 percent favor vaccine mandates for teachers, just 36 percent oppose them
The poll also found that DeSantis was underwater regarding whether residents think he is helping the situation or making it worse.
While 41 percent say that Governor Ron DeSantis is helping efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Florida, 46 percent say he is hurting efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19. Twelve percent did not offer an opinion.
DeSantis picked a fight on masking—choosing to champion the fringe 'personal freedom' crowd over the lives of children. He is now facing a massive revolt among Florida schools and, the polling suggests, a loss of confidence among the electorate.
- Why Senate Republicans Have A Raging DeSantis Problem ... ›
- Spooked By Negative Polls, Republican Politicians Now Push ... ›
- The Beltway Press Must Own Its DeSantis Debacle - National Memo ›
- DeSantis Following Trump's Failed Pandemic Playbook - National ... ›
- How DeSantis' Obsession With Fox News Is Ruining Florida Now ... ›
- DeSantis Leads Florida Into COVID Hell As Cases Hit New Record ... ›
- Study Finds DeSantis And Abbott Culpable In Nearly 5000 Excess ... ›
- Defensive DeSantis Whines: 'I'm Sick Of The Judgmental Stuff ... ›
- Remember When DeSantis 'Won The Pandemic'? - National Memo ›
- So, Ron DeSantis Wants To Be President ›
- New Florida Poll Shows DeSantis Approval Tanking ›
- ‘Funerals And Funerals’: Florida Mortuaries Overwhelmed By Delta Variant Dead ›
- Justice Department Opens Civil Rights Probe Of Florida Mask Ban ›
- Poll: Most Americans Support Vaccine Mandates ›
- Fox News Poll Finds Strong Majority Supports Masks, Vaccination - National Memo ›
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Poll Numbers Drop While Covid-19 ... ›
- Poll: Majority of Floridians oppose Gov. DeSantis on masks ›
- Most Americans support state or local mask mandates, poll shows ... ›
- Poll: Majority Of Floridians Disapprove Of Governor DeSantis ... ›
- Florida poll: DeSantis falls behind Crist as COVID-19 cases surge ... ›
- Ron DeSantis' Approval Rating Tanks as COVID Delta Variant ... ›
- Poll: Ron DeSantis approval rating sags as COVID-19 rages ›
- "Thumbs down": Ron DeSantis hit with brutal poll numbers as ... ›
- Florida poll: Low marks for DeSantis on COVID, school threat ... ›